Craftsman 1/2hp compressor repair

7 years 11 months ago #1693 by JohnProj
Craftsman 1/2hp compressor repair was created by JohnProj
I have an old model 283.150571 Craftsman 1/2HP air compressor. It's been a great little utility compressor over the years but two parts finally gave out - the piston seal and the piston sleeve. Apparently when the seal gave out, the piston started digging into the sleeve and trashed it. The piston itself and all other parts are okay.

Unfortunately since this is an old model, Sears no longer has replacement parts and a search on the internet has proved fruitless. Several months ago a friend gave me a compressor service kit, Thomas model SK-1207/80. A couple weeks ago I decided to effect the repair but quickly found out the piston and sleeve in the repair kit are larger (same stroke but larger diameter) than the piston and sleeve in my compressor. I believe the repair kit is for a 1HP compressor.

I'm confident I could adapt the larger piston and sleeve to my compressor by installing a larger bearing, (the new piston needs a larger OD crank bearing), milling out the head to accommodate the larger diameter sleeve and if necessary, drill an additional exhaust port (the kit provides new port flappers), however, I'm concerned that the larger displacement may be too much for the 1/2HP motor. What I don't want is to spend the time to do the modifications only to find out, the motor stalls out. So, my question is, does anyone know where I might find repair parts that fit my compressor, or will my proposed modification to accept the repair parts I have work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1695 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Craftsman 1/2hp compressor repair
Thanks for the post!

I can tell you that this is certainly a Thomas air compressor labeled for Craftsman, and it SHOULD be a "1015" series air compressor. This comes from a Thomas representative so it's pretty accurate information, however, you say your unit is a 1/2 HP model but the 1015 was a 3/4 HP model. The below 1903 Kit is for a 3/4 HP model as well.

My Thomas rep recommended the "1903" kit which we sell now (on sale) for $115:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/rebuild-kit-1903-p-25787.html

I've also attached some information in a .pdf for this model that you can review.

As far as modifying the unit to fit the larger rebuild kit you purchased is concerned, I can't say for 100% certainty if that will work or not.
I can't imagine that the nominal size would be detrimental to the 1 HP motor you have, but doing the modification and using the compressor may be the only way to tell. It is true that there is a possibility of the motor being bogged down by the larger piston and larger CFM output.

- MTR
Attachments:

7 years 11 months ago #1696 by JohnProj
Replied by JohnProj on topic Craftsman 1/2hp compressor repair
MTR,
Thanks for the reply. You may be right about the HP. The nameplate on may compressor says 7.7 A and 640 Watts which is certainly more than 1/2HP. The side of the compressor says 1/2HP which surprises me since Craftsman is famous for using peak horsepower (a meaningless metric) in their advertising.

Anyway, I looked at the 1903 kit and it doesn't match up with compressor. There is no piston sleeve in the kit, as far as I can see, and that is one of the critical items I need. Also the head gasket in the kit shows rounded inlet and outlet chambers and mine are rectangular. My piston has a slot near the top for the leather/fiber (?) piston seal, which is the other critical part I need, but the 1903 kit does not have that seal. Except for the piston size, the kit I have is a better match for my compressor.

Unless you have another suggestion, I'm thinking I should go ahead and try my modification. The kit was free and a larger bearing will probably cost around $5, so I only have the time and effort to lose if it doesn't work.

John

7 years 11 months ago #1697 by MTR-Admin
I asked an old crony that has been at Thomas 40 years, he advised that all of these older models used the 607162 rod, so even though it is a 1/2 HP, this kit should still work.

But, if you say some of the components in this kit look different than your original parts, I would go with your suggestion and try the modification.

The 1903 Kit DOES include the Cylinder Sleeve, as well as the Telfon-coated Piston Ring. The Ring is simply not visible in the photo, but all of these parts are included.

Either way, I hope you get the unit back up and running again. These Thomas units are some of the best oil-free compressors out there!

- MTR

7 years 11 months ago #1698 by JohnProj
Replied by JohnProj on topic Craftsman 1/2hp compressor repair
MTR,
That's interesting about the sleeve and seal not being shown and they are not listed as components in the 1903 instructions. If I were selling a repair kit with a picture of what's in the kit, I'd make sure I showed all the parts especially the critical parts (e.g piston sleeve). I mean, they show the Loctite squeeze packs and those are available from most any hardware or auto parts store.

I guess I don't understand the thinking.

John

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1699 by MTR-Admin
You're correct, I'm not sure why the .pdf instructions sheet for this 1903 kit doesn't include the Piston/Rod Assy or Cylinder Sleeve...

It could be because that document is dated. Thomas was sold some years ago and they're a different entity now, so these kits are slightly different.

This .pdf came directly from my Thomas rep, and I'm sure is an old file.

The photo of the kit on our website is accurate as to what it includes:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/rebuild-kit-1903-p-25787.html

You can also see this on their website, below ("DOCS" is the new OEM parts retailer for these Thomas parts):

www.docs-llc.com/DOCS-Thomas-AirPac.html

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds