Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1137 by paintballdude05
Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor was created by paintballdude05
I picked up a Rigid GP90135 gas powered air compressor on the cheap a few weeks back. It's in pretty bad shape, but with a new belt and fresh gas it fired right up. It seems to pump pretty good, and quick, but there is some oil in the air and tanks. The main issue however is the unloader valve that doesn't seem to function too well. The engine isn't being throttled as designed and I believe the issue lies with the pilot valve.

When the tank reaches 125 psi, it cuts off and throttles back the engine. However, when the cut-in pressure is reached the valve isn't releasing pressure at the throttle control port. This causes the throttle control cable to remain in or near the idle position and the engine stalls. I've taken apart the unloader valve to clean it out, and it was dirty. I put it all back together and following the instructions on your site, I tried to re-adjust the pilot valve correctly. I was marginally successful, but whatever I did I still had air coming out of the throttle control port.

It should be noted that the unloading toggle on the pilot valve was broken by the previous owner. It looks like he was using pliers to manually unload it.

Short of a new unloader valve assembly, what are my options here?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago #1139 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
Thanks for the post!

Short or replacing the Unloader/Pilot Valve, you can try adjusting it (which you did) but these pilot valves can be very fickle. Make sure the Unloader toggle is always in the upright position so the compressor loads as well, so it needs to be in the "bottom" position; conversely, you would pull the pin up with pliers to unload the compressor.

I would also check to confirm the engine idle speed is accurate...typically on a Honda GX160 engine, the idle speed is supposed to be around 800 RPM, if I remember correctly. Adjust the plastic, phillips head throttle screw CW and use a tachometer to confirm idle speed is correct.

Otherwise, you may just need to replace the Pilot Valve.

- MTR

8 years 8 months ago #1144 by paintballdude05
Replied by paintballdude05 on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
I think the issue I'm having with trying to tune it is that the unloading toggle stem has a slight bend and/or the spring for the is weak. It is often times leaking from the toggle stem area when I'm trying to tune it. Is there a repair kit out there to replace this part of the pilot valve in order to get a new spring and toggle?

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a tachometer to confirm my RPM's on the engine. If anything, they seem a bit high, but who knows.

Thanks!

8 years 8 months ago #1146 by MTR-Admin
Replacing the Toggle may very well do the trick, yes. We don't have it available for this particular Pilot/Unloader Valve but that's not to say someone else doesn't carry it.

I believe this Valve is made by Control Devices, you can try contacting them at 636-660-7100 as they may carry it and tell you where you can purchase it.

Hope this helps,

- MTR

8 years 8 months ago #1147 by paintballdude05
Replied by paintballdude05 on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
Thank you for the honest response, I'll give them a call to see what they say.

One last thing, I noticed that the sleeve on my throttle control linkage was coming out of the valve when actuated. What I mean is, when the throttle control valve would activate, the inner cable would make the outer cable (or sleeve) come out of the valve. When the valve would deactivate, the outer cable would come back but wasn't always going back inside the valve. I don't think this is normal either, and it's probably another part that needs replacement. My throttle controls on the engine are very loose and lubricated.

8 years 8 months ago #1148 by MTR-Admin
No problem, glad to help any way I can!
I would say you're right, I'd replace the Throttle/Idle Control.

It may be best to replace it with an Airline style instead of a cable style. This type of throttle control just uses a hollow nylon tube so you don't have any mechanical cables:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/airline-style-t...e-control-p-544.html

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds