Powerhorse Pressure Washer starts for 5 seconds then dies

4 years 8 months ago #3177 by DIYhelpneeded
I've got a 208CC Powerhorse Pressure Washer that was running when I put it away last year. Model 157711A. Serial 04107578. It's the one Northern Tool sells for $299.00. I've had it 4 or 5 years. and this is the first trouble I've had with it. Now, very hard to start and dies after running for a few seconds. Won't start again until a few hours have passed. What I've done so far: Replaced the carburetor with a new one. Drained and cleaned the gas tank. Installed fresh gas and changed the oil. Good spark at the spark plug. Checked by taking the plug out and laying it against the engine and cranking it over. Air cleaner is off just until I get it running properly. It's supposed to have low oil shut off. Could it possibly be activating erroneously as soon as it starts? A simple engine like this shouldn't be so damn hard to figure out. I'm baffled. Please help. Thank you...............Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 8 months ago #3178 by MTR-Admin
You have done the correct thing. It could be that the pump is putting too much strain on the engine due to the pump unloader not working. If you hold the trigger of the wand open full blast, will the engine continue to run?

4 years 8 months ago #3179 by DIYhelpneeded
Thanks for the quick response. Water hose not connected to it while trying to get it to start. Your response made me think it has to be connected to water turned on to start. Nope, that didn't help. Couldn't get it started at all this attempt. One thing I noticed is the fuel shutoff valve doesn't work well. When I pulled the original carb off, the fuel valve was in the closed position, but fuel continued to leak out of the fuel line. Don't know how that could be causing the problem if on occasion it will run for a few seconds.

4 years 8 months ago #3180 by MTR-Admin
If using Carb Cleaner spray, you can keep it running by spraying carb cleaner in the throat of the carb, then you have a fuel issue. I would do this first. Do not use gas as you will start a fire.

4 years 8 months ago #3181 by DIYhelpneeded
I have starting fluid spray. Tried it first by spraying into the carb which didn't make any difference. Pulled the plug and sprayed it into the cylinder. No help either yet I have good spark at the plug (at least when it's out of the engine)

4 years 8 months ago #3182 by MTR-Admin
Does the pump seem to be putting resistance to the engine when trying to start?

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds