Kobalt 80 gal

1 year 9 months ago #3656 by waltturner
Kobalt 80 gal was created by waltturner
My 2007 Kobalt K7580v2 80 gal pump model B5900 compressor has a problem. It never reaches the 175 psi to cut off. When the pressure reaches 100 psi it begins a loud POP-POP_POP sound. The sound is coming from a screw-in device on the compressor. Replacing this device might resolve the problem, but I don't know what part to order. I'm attaching a photo of the device. I would appreciate any advice on how to make this compressor work again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #3657 by gfulton
Replied by gfulton on topic Kobalt 80 gal
I'm logged into the forum, sir, but did not see any picture?  Could it possibly be a high pressure relief valve that is blowing off below it's designed pressure?

1 year 9 months ago #3658 by waltturner
Replied by waltturner on topic Kobalt 80 gal
I tried to upload a photo of the compressor, but this site would not accept the photo. Today I found a parts breakdown of the B5900 and the part that is making the POP-POP-POP sound is called a Dipstick Breath Assembly. This unit does not have a dipstick. It has a sight glass.

1 year 9 months ago #3659 by gfulton
Replied by gfulton on topic Kobalt 80 gal
Sounds like to me that sight glass has a bad seal, but you'd think oil would be blowing out also?

1 year 9 months ago #3660 by waltturner
That is an interesting comment. There is a very slight oil leak from somewhere. The sight glass still shows about half full, but there is obvious oil on the platform beneath the B5900. I will look closely.

1 year 9 months ago #3662 by waltturner
Close inspection of the sight glass shows oil seeping around the gasket. My modest tool kit doesn't include a 41mm socket to tighten the sight glass. I have ordered a socket.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds