Piston ring installation help!

10 years 2 months ago #327 by kaliona
Piston ring installation help! was created by kaliona
I'm trying to reinstall the pistons on my Craftsman 2 cylinder compressor and am not sure how the ring gaps should be located. I have 2 compression rings and the oil ring. I pulled the pistons in order to check the crankshaft bearings, so I never actually removed the rings. Now I just need to get the pistons back in the cylinder. Can someone explain the gap locations? Also, do I need a ring compressor to get the piston back in? Looks like I have to bolt the connecting rod to the crankshaft first, so the piston has to be slid into the cylinder from the bottom, which doesn't allow the use of a ring compressor. I'm stuck. . .am I going about this all wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #328 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Piston ring installation help!
To be sure, do you have the model# of your compressor? This would help.

Essentially, the Rings don't have to be staggered in an EXACT location, as long as the gaps ARE staggered you're fine. So if you have 3 Rings, just stagger them so that the gaps are 120 degrees apart and you'll be fine.
As for compressing the rings, if you can't use a ring compressor then take some plumbing strap (has small holes in it) and compress this around the Rings with vice-grips, then push the Piston and Conrod down into the Cylinder.
This pump probably doesn't have a removable Cylinder as the Cylinder and Crankcase are one cast aluminum piece, with an oil pan. If this is the case then you HAVE to install the Piston/Rods from the top of the Cylinder, then bolt the Conrods down onto the crankshaft.

Hope this helps!
- MTR

10 years 2 months ago #329 by kaliona
Replied by kaliona on topic Piston ring installation help!
It's a Craftsman 106.170911. It's a 2 cylinder. It has a removable cylinder and no oil pan so that's why I have to bolt on the connecting rod first. I'll give the plumbing strap a try although I don't quite understand how I will tighten it around the rings since I will be trying to slide the piston in from the bottom of the cylinder. Thanks for the tip.

10 years 2 months ago #331 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the info...this model is very familiar to me, it's the old, old "VT" series pump which Campbell Hausfeld manufactured for Sears.
This is going to be a typical Ring installation, then. You'll end up compressing the rings and having the pistons and rods already installed on the crankshaft.
You'll use the steel band to compress the rings on one Piston first, then shimmy on the Cylinder. Make sure you have one Piston at the bottom of it's stroke and the other at its highest point. Obviously you're going to start with the higher piston, shimmy the cylinder on, then start with the second Piston.

I've included a nice .PDF document that shows you how and gives you a visual. The model of the pump isn't the same but the method will be exactly identical.

Again, good luck and I hope this was of some assistance!
- MTR
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaliona

10 years 2 months ago #333 by kaliona
Replied by kaliona on topic Piston ring installation help!
Thanks for the tip MTR. And since you say you're familiar with this model. I have a broken restrictor (I think that's what the part is called), and according to Sears and one other compressor site I've found, that part is no longer available. It's the flapper valve that sits on top of the thinner flapper valve at the top of the cylinder (it's about .035" thick and has a slight bend to it). I think it keeps the thinner valve (.015") from flopping up to high when the piston pushes air on on it's up stroke. I can get my hands on some stainless steel shims that I plan on trying to cut to shape unless you know where I can get this particular part. If not, do you think my idea will work? And is that restrictor supposed to have a bend in it?

10 years 2 months ago #335 by MTR-Admin
I believe the part# for the "Valve Limitor" is VT021500AV at $4.83 each
www.mastertoolrepair.com/valve-limiter-vt021500av-p-17791.html

The only info I have states it's 18 gauge steel.

I'll double check with the manufacturer and get back to you. I'd like to confirm this is the right part.
-MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds