Industrial Air IV5048055

5 years 5 months ago #2724 by rock7174
Industrial Air IV5048055 was created by rock7174
Moving my compressor into my new shop.....moving with appliance cart and the tire goes flat all the sudden. Compressor started to slide off the side and I caught it but it was too heavy and had to drop it to the floor from about 12 inches on the floor. broke the cast pulley on the pump. Ordered a new pulley from MT and fired it up. It started as usual and about 20 seconds in it starts to bog down and then sounds like it is going to come out of it and then bogs down again. This repeats several times until it finally stops the motor to a hum and I shut it down. I have no idea what could be the problem. It has no air in the tank. This is a fresh start up with an empty tank. So what is it? Capacitor? Unloader valve? Check valve, valves in pump? The pump turns like it should when I turn it by hand. I took the belt off and fired it up and the motor runs and sounds as it should with no load on the pulley. HELP! This is driving me nuts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #2725 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
There is a good chance that oil seeped above the pistons and is causing a hydraulic lock.
It depends on how long it way lying on it's side.
Also, is there no more or less than a 1/2" deflection in the drive belt?

5 years 5 months ago #2739 by rock7174
Replied by rock7174 on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
Thanks for replying. It did sit on its side for a couple hours before I had someone to help me get it off the ground. The drive belt looks to be ok. How will I know if there is hydraulic lock? My sight glass shows my oil level is ok if that makes a difference.

5 years 5 months ago #2740 by rock7174
Replied by rock7174 on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
Also, when I take the pipe off between the pump and tank it runs fine. I looked at the deflection in the belt and it looks right about 1/2". Thanks for the help. I had my HVAC guy test my capacitors, so I know that isn't the problem.

5 years 5 months ago #2741 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
After making sure you have disconnected the power from your unit.
Remove the transfer tube from the pump head.
Try and turn the flywheel by hand to cycle the pistons up and down.
Is it still hard to turn? If so, then you need to remove the head from the pump and the valve plate, soak up the excess oil on top of the pistons and then replace the gaskets and reinstall the valve plate and head.

5 years 5 months ago #2742 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
Remove the check valve to the tank after draining ALL air from the tank and turning the unit off.
The check valve may be clogged. See the online schematic to determine the location of the check valve.
mastertoolrepair.com/stationary-two-stag...48055-p-1335964.html

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds