Industrial Air IV5048055

5 years 5 months ago #2747 by rock7174
Replied by rock7174 on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
So I removed the head to see if any oil leaked on top of the pistons, and there was no oil present. Not even a hint of oil. I took the check valve off....it doesn't looked clogged but I ordered a new one just to be sure. So far I have done the following
1. Check valve.
2. Remove head to check for oil on top of pistons.
3. Had HVAC buddy test capacitors.
4. Performed an amp draw on motor.

Can't be unloader valve since I'm starting with no pressure in the tank or pump. I feel like I have narrowed it down to the check valve not functioning, while I'm waiting for a new one from MT, can you guys think of anything else??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #2748 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
I would imagine that you inspected the valves of the pump as well to make sure that they were not damaged.
You have done pretty much everything. If the pump turns by hand, then it sounds as if the connecting rods and crank are fine. One thing you might do is to unplug the unit and remove the back of the motor and make sure that the centrifugal switch is not damaged and the contacts are clean. The link to this process is below:
mastertoolrepair.com/images/How_To_Clean...r_Starter_Switch.pdf

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #2758 by rock7174
update: the check valve did not fix the problem. I started to retrace my steps of diagnosing the problem and realized I did amp draw with the pump to tank hose off so there wasn't much load on the motor. With everything hooked up I was running 32-34 amps on each leg. 6HP motor rated 24 amps. The motor should be running below the rated amps correct? If it were the centrifugal switch the motor would just hum and not start at all correct? Is my motor shot?

5 years 5 months ago #2759 by rock7174
I'll describe it one more time a little better than previously. I start up the empty compressor and initially the motor is a little sluggish taking a couple seconds to get up to speed. It seems like it gets up to speed for about 5-15 seconds. During this time the amps settle around 33-34 amps. Motor is rated at 24 amps. After the initial surge of 5-15 seconds, the compressor bogs down and the amps start to climb past 45 amps and I quickly shut it down. I plan on taking the motor apart to check the centrifugal switch, but any more insight would be helpful. I'll post an update once I look at the switch. Really need to get this up and running as it provides air to my oil burner for winter heat and its getting cold!!!!

5 years 5 months ago #2763 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Industrial Air IV5048055
This is where it gets really tricky.
The centrifugal switch allows the motor to get the initial boost from the start capacitor, then it should kick out and the run capacitor takes over from there. You said that you already tested both capacitors, correct?
I would hate for you to buy a motor, only to find out that your pump has issues.
You said you inspected the pump valve plate, oil on top of cylinders and the check valve.
As long as the valves are in good shape, the belt has proper tension and the check valve is not clogged, then it is possible that there are issues in the crankcase, but this would "typically" be determined by removing the belt and transfer tube and simply turning the flywheel of the pump to determine if it rotates freely and there is NO scraping or clanking noise in the bottom area of the pump.

This is about all I can recommend remotely.

5 years 5 months ago #2766 by rock7174
Yea the pump turns freely, no scraping, etc. The contacts on the switch were pretty burnt so I used some 1200 grit sandpaper and sanded back smooth. Put it back together and now it just hums. Just drove to town and dropped it off at the industrial motor experts because I'm out of my element. We'll see what they say.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds