Speedaire leaking air

7 years 5 months ago #1920 by Sunnyday
Speedaire leaking air was created by Sunnyday
Hello, I have a Speedaire Model 5Z036, 2cyl, 1 stage, 4hp compressor. It was first leaking air from intake port, that i resolved. Now it slowly leaks from crank case breather cup.I believe it is leaking past the valves but not 100% on that. Starts,fills, and stops like it should.

When I look for this model for parts it never comes up. I find reed valves but dont know if they would work in this unit. Any ideas, help, or advice would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Cory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #1923 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Speedaire leaking air
Thanks for the post Cory,

I've attached a copy of the unit parts breakdown and parts list as well as for the pump itself, for this model.

It certainly sounds like you have defective Reed Valves in the pump. Typically when this happens, you'll get air escaping from the intake filter and air leaking out of the crankcase breather.

This can also be caused by worn piston rings as well, however, and most of the time we recommend to replace the rings as well as the valves.

A complete ring set will set you back about $45 and a valve kit $34 or so. You can find both on our website by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...-2z630b-p-39994.html

I hope this helps!

- MTR
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sunnyday

7 years 5 months ago #1924 by Sunnyday
Replied by Sunnyday on topic Speedaire leaking air
MTR, I would like to say Thank You for the information and advice. I believe I did the rings and a light honeing.

A bit of history, this is a project from a few years back that I started and never completed.At the time I did a trade with a friend and wasnt sure what it needed so I did a gasket and ring change. Now I am ready to revisit it with my son thats now old enough to learn and understand mechanics. So with that said and with your much appreciated help I think its time for a valve change.

Also I quickly looked through the parts break down and noticed on the head there is a check valve. This unit does not have one, maybe my friend removed it? Is it a must that there should be one. Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks again MTR,
I will try to pay it forward if and when I can.
Cory

7 years 5 months ago #1926 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Speedaire leaking air
I'm certainly glad to help if I can Cory, thank you for the kind words.

As far as I know there isn't (and never has been) a Check Valve on the pump head for this particular model. There are Reed Valves on the bottom and top of the Head, but these are the intake and exhaust valves. One could think of them as "check" valves I suppose, so you wouldn't be far off by calling them check valves.

Let me know if you have any other questions, hopefully you can get the 'ol girl back up and running again as it's a great compressor!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds