Seized electic motor on a Karcher K5

7 years 7 months ago #1853 by drakulina
Seized electic motor on a Karcher K5 was created by drakulina
Hello!
I've been tinkering with a K5.540 pressure washer that had initially a cracked pump. I replaced the part and managed to use the pressure washer 3 times. Last time, when I tried to use it, it tripped the circuit breaker and the motor would not turn on.
I thought it was the capacitor at fault, so I took it apart again and replaced the cap. No joy.
The motor hums and does not spin. I tried to spin it manually using a hex key and I could not do it (without any pump parts on it).

Any idea why an electric motor would seize? The oil covering the wobble plate looked fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #1855 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Seized electic motor on a Karcher K5
Thanks for the post!

There are several conditions that could cause the pump or motor to seize. Running hot, running unit without water, foreign material entering the pump or simply wear. If the unit was stored for a long period corrosion could be a factor. The pump is usually good for about 50 hours of run time depending on conditions, they are usually not worth repairing. The cost of repair generally exceeds 50% of the units value.

At this point it sounds as though the pump is seized, if you ruled out the electric components causing the problem.

- MTR

7 years 7 months ago #1858 by drakulina
Replied by drakulina on topic Seized electic motor on a Karcher K5
Thank you for your reply.
As I said the pump itself is brand new.
The motor is the one that does not spin, even without any pump parts on it.
I'll try to take the motor apart later this week to see if there are any loose bits in it.

7 years 7 months ago #1860 by drakulina
Replied by drakulina on topic Seized electic motor on a Karcher K5
Found the problem.
The motor is water cooled. I guess some moisture passed the O rings and now the rotor and stator have some rust.
What is the best way to clean it? Fine sanding paper is OK on the rotor?

7 years 7 months ago #1861 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Seized electic motor on a Karcher K5
Right, you did say you replaced the pump. I obviously overlooked that in my first reply.

If the motor is locked up it's honestly probably not worth repairing. I do not see any motor parts available and new motor assembly is $200.00+. It's worth tearing down and looking at could be something simple.

If the seals failed and the motor components have rust accumulation then yes, sand paper would be alright.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds