Losing pressure

8 years 5 months ago #1279 by jlcocke
Losing pressure was created by jlcocke
Hey guys, Thanks in advance for your help. I have a 3100 PSI Ryobi w/Honda engine. I just replaced the hose and wand, and checked the unloader valve and I am still losing pressure.

Walk with me and I will explain what's going on:

I hook the water hose and high pressure hose up to the machine. I hook the high pressure hose up to the wand. I turn on the water to wide open. I fire up the Honda engine with trigger depressed and a 40 degree tip in the wand. Once motor is running I release the trigger. I hear the motor rev up & idle back, typically indicating the pressure washer is ready for use. I pull the trigger and great pressure. Within about 5-10 seconds of holding the trigger the water pressure is barely sputtering out. When I release the trigger, the motors revs up high and idles back (again indicating the pressure washer is ready for use). Repeat as many times as you feel like it... This happens no matter which tip I put in 0, 10, 15, 25, and 40.

Makes sense?

Again, I have checked the unloader valve and it is not stuck. I have replaced high pressure hose & high pressure wand.

Please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago #1280 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Losing pressure
Thanks for the post,

Is your model RY80940? This is a popular 3,100 PSI gas pressure washer. If you can confirm I'll be glad to help any way I can.

- MTR

8 years 5 months ago #1281 by jlcocke
Replied by jlcocke on topic Losing pressure
Yes it is.

8 years 5 months ago #1283 by MTR-Admin
This sounds like a pump issue to me.

The first thing is to insure that there is an adequate supply of water with no kinks or restrictions in the lines. It is possible that a valve in the pump has come apart or is stuck causing the pump to go into bypass until pressure is released. Either way this is in all likelihood a pump issue.

I don’t know what the age or run time is on this unit but OEM pumps are good for around 50 hrs. of run time, usually just enough to last for the warranty period.

- MTR

8 years 5 months ago #1285 by jlcocke
Replied by jlcocke on topic Losing pressure
There is no pressure problem with hose or water supply pressure. I figured it was a pump problem. The closest reputable place in my town that will service pressure washers costs $70/hr labor rate. So I bought a new pump from partswarehouse.com.

Now a new problem. I've unbolted the pump from the engine (vertical shaft) but the pump won't come off. Is there a trick to it?

8 years 5 months ago #1286 by MTR-Admin
There is most likely a key as it's a keyed shaft, so removing it may take some force.

If you have a small propane torch I would heat the shaft as that will make removing it much easier. Otherwise, just work it off slowly. Or, you can throw some Liquid Wrench or something similar in the keyway.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds