Rebuilt Pump Leaks when water is turned on - before starting pump.

5 years 1 month ago #3010 by herschelm
I rebuilt a pump with new pressure seals, crank bearings and seal. When I first assembled it I started the engine -- without water supplied to the pump -- for 15 to 20 seconds. Then I took it outside, hooked the water hose and when I turned on the water I got a spray of water from both sides of each of the three cylinders, at the joint between the head and block. In the photo, my knife is pointing to one of the six sources of the leak. Just a nice little spray from each... grrrrrr.
I'm guessing that I ruined the seals - or have them installed incorrectly. Suggestions?
This is a "8.7GA12" pump from a .... some kind of gas pump. It is in the shop. Does it matter? Frustrated with failing at what seems like a simple fix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #3011 by skatingtoolman

5 years 1 month ago #3012 by skatingtoolman
No photo attached.

5 years 3 weeks ago #3018 by herschelm
Yes, this is the pump - I have the "non-obsolete" pump. Sorry - I thought I replied to this days ago but I guess I missed something in the process. Any Ideas on the leaking?
It seems to me that it has to be coming down beside the pistons - leaking past two seals - to get to the point of exit. I'm going to attempt to include a picture of the point of leaking....
Attachments:

5 years 3 weeks ago #3022 by skatingtoolman
Have you viewed this YouTube video? It's not your model, but there are some good tips.

This one is your unit.

5 years 3 weeks ago #3023 by herschelm
The second video is apparently mine but unfortunately ALL of the detail (order for seals, direction, seal within the pump body) are NOT SHOWN. Please advise the creator, nicely, that a static picture of the pressurewasher is quite useless. I needed to see the detail of the assembly, like the first of these two videos. Unfortunately the first vid is quite a bit defferent than mine.
The pressure washer owner can afford to buy a new pump and I don't see what I could do differently so I'm moving on. Thanks for your assistance - please ask the second video maker to show the details. It's being done in his kitchen, no wife? OK! Put the machine up on the table and get some light on it and give someone a 6-pack to hold the camera and follow what he's doing -- closely. Then it would have been great.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds