Sparks from reciprocating saw

7 years 10 months ago #1668 by gdav@cox.net
Sparks from reciprocating saw was created by gdav@cox.net
Sparks are coming from the rear air vents of my Craftsman 12 amp reciprocating saw. I checked the brushes and they have about 3/4" of the carbon remaining. Can someone identify the problem.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #1669 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Sparks from reciprocating saw
Thanks for the post!

First, I'd take the handle off again and remove the Brushes so you can get a better look at the armature's commutator. Check to see if any of the copper sections of the commutator are burnt, missing or if there are excessive gaps in between the sections. Typically this is the problem with the symptom you're having.

Otherwise, check for any wires that may be bare and touching each other or possibly rubbing against the motor or moving parts. Hopefully this will get you started.

P.S. What's the model# of the recip saw?

- MTR

7 years 10 months ago #1675 by gdav@cox.net
Replied by gdav@cox.net on topic Sparks from reciprocating saw
Model # 172.26043

7 years 10 months ago #1678 by gdav@cox.net
Replied by gdav@cox.net on topic Sparks from reciprocating saw
I can see the brushes making contact with the commutator and sparks flying. The commutator copper is very dark in color. Almost black. I'm assuming the teeth should be copper in color, like a clean copper plumbing pipe. And I assume it could be cleaned in a similar fashion. The problem is I cannot figure out how to get the tool apart since there are no fastener heads exposed, as far as I can see. (See photo)
Attachments:

7 years 10 months ago #1682 by MTR-Admin
I'll do some research to find out how to exactly to disassemble the case/housing, as I've never had my hands on this model before.

Are you able to remove the rubber insulator? Typically it's removable and once free, there should be screws recessed in the body that hold the halves together.

It does seem like the armature needs to be dressed/cleaned; once you get to the armature this is pretty simple to perform.

- MTR

7 years 10 months ago #1688 by MTR-Admin
Another note:

Unless this is an expensive tool, it may be time for a new one.

This is a link for the parts:
www.manualslib.com/manual/487047/Craftsm....html?page=26#manual

There may be a clue on how to get it apart on that schematic, I would take a look.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds