IR 2131 impact wrench rebuild gone bad

7 years 11 months ago #1651 by joea
So, my trusty 2131 was getting sluggish. Decided to get the rebuild kits and give it a go.

All seemed fine, except the tool does not turn, air just exits out the hole in the bottom of the grip and does nos spin at all, forward or reverse.

Took it apart again and all looks correct.

What have I done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #1660 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic IR 2131 impact wrench rebuild gone bad
Thanks for the post!

It could be any number of things since you have already tried to install the rebuild kit.

Does the trigger have to be depressed for air to come out of exhaust? This symptom would make a difference in troubleshooting the problem.

It could be the trigger valve, reversing valve or even a stuck vane. It would be hard to say what the exact problem would be without seeing it myself. I would recommend taking it to a qualified rebuilder. If that is not an option then obtain a schematic breakdown and disassemble the tool and check for any obvious concern and compare the assembly to the breakdown diagram to see if the tool was assembled correctly.

Cleaning and lubrication are also big factors in correct operation.

- MTR

7 years 10 months ago #1679 by joea
Replied by joea on topic IR 2131 impact wrench rebuild gone bad
Yes trigger must be depressed. I did get it going after tear down. I think the reversing valve blue oring got mangled. I had another new one and it it seems to work now. At least it runs fwd and rev when I give it air. Time and weather prevent me from using it on a real job for now.

7 years 10 months ago #1683 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic IR 2131 impact wrench rebuild gone bad
I'm glad it's working for you for the time being. It'll be interesting to see if that gives you a permanent fix with some time and use on it.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds