Porter Cable Table Saw PCB270TS

7 years 9 months ago #1746 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Porter Cable Table Saw PCB270TS
Some additional information that may help...

It's a good idea to turn the saw upside down or on it's side to get to the drive and adjustment mechanisms.
Porter Cable saws use bevel gears attached to a worm gear and hand wheel to elevate and lower the blade. The gears are usually attached to the shafts with set screws if they are metal or pins if they are plastic. I cannot say for sure what the problem is with this unit but usually an inspection of the mechanical operation will reveal any problem.

Usually the problems are with the bevel gears being broken, misaligned or the retainers being sheared or coming loose. Most problems occur because of build up of sawdust, dirt and or debris in the gear teeth. This in turn causes the operator to apply extra effort or force to turn the hand wheel resulting in mechanical failure.

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago #1747 by mtswago
Replied by mtswago on topic Porter Cable Table Saw PCB270TS
Thank you for this response. I am hopeful of getting it fix.

7 years 9 months ago #1749 by mtswago
Replied by mtswago on topic Porter Cable Table Saw PCB270TS
I was able to figure out how to get to the elevation shaft. There is a brass bushing on the shaft that appears to go up as the crank is turned. I imagine the bushing raises the saw blade. However, the bushing does not go up when the crank is turned. If I put pressure on the bushing as the crank is turned the bushing goes up. It looks like the bushing is supposed to seat in the bottom of the shaft. The bushing has two indents on the top. There are two screws or set screws on the shaft housing. The indents seem to fit the circumference of the screws. Maybe there is a flange/was a flange on the bushing to which the screw covered flange on the bushing causing the saw blade to raise. There are two gears which cause the shaft to turn. It looks like the gear on the elevation shaft has to come off in order to get the shaft out. there is another gear on the crank which engages the gear on the elevator shaft. I can't get to the set screws holding either gear. The bushing that goes up and down on the elevator shaft is not on the blowout schematic for the parts on the parts list.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds