Newbie and 10 yr old son have a question

4 years 6 months ago #3216 by smhoff2019
Newbie and 10 yr old son have a question was created by smhoff2019
Hey Everyone, I just joined. My 10 yr old kid doesn't like video games but he does like working with tools. Everyone tells me I'm lucky. He has about 15 old lawn mowers, and he's also working on weed wackers, rototillers, and two outboards. Sometimes he makes mistakes that you wouldn't expect. Like today, he got the direction of our drill chuck wrong. He was putting in a drill bit and trying to tighten it in, but he turned the chuck the wrong way and now it's stuck open. All the way open. And he must have turned it pretty hard in the wrong direction. I can't get it unstuck. Can't get the chuck to move and tighten again. It's a Craftsman 3/8" variable speed corded drill, Model 315.101070. The chuck jaws are down and in because the chuck is fully open. Removing the chuck requires (this is what the manual says) the chuck to be fully tightened (then you use a 5/16 or larger hex). I don't have a big enough hex to work with the chuck fully open like it is now. Does anyone have any bright ideas? Thanks a million in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 6 months ago #3218 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Newbie and 10 yr old son have a question
In the very center of the shaft most of the time there is a hex screw that is left handed threads. See if that has started to unscrew keeping the jaws from closing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smhoff2019

4 years 6 months ago #3238 by smhoff2019
Replied by smhoff2019 on topic Newbie and 10 yr old son have a question
Epilogue: the 2nd time I took out the channel locks and adjustable wrench, with a couple of handy friends over, we were able to gently torque it without breaking anything or roughing up the plastic/rubber of the chuck too bad. Happy ending. I really didn't think that torquing it would do it. I'll squirt some WD-40 in there and assume it won't happen again. Thanks again.

2 years 2 months ago #3617 by johnmarsh182
Replied by johnmarsh182 on topic Newbie and 10 yr old son have a question
Please answer my question. What is your opinion about Treadmill Weight Limit? Please send me any information you have on fat people.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds