Bostich finish nailer won't fire till I warm it up

5 years 4 days ago #3043 by jlmcooldude
Hi all. I'm new to the forum here, and hopefully someone knows about this issue and what to do about it. I have a Bostich 16 gauge straight finish nailer (pneumatic) that won't fire when cold. I'm not talking about freezing weather. I mean even if it's 50 or 60 degrees out, it won't fire till I warm it up. I keep a heat gun in my truck and have to warm it up for a while before it will work. It has done this since I got it, but the repair shop couldn't find anything wrong with it when they took it apart. So I've dealt with it for a few years. But I'm tired of it and am about to buy another nailer, but figured I'd see if anyone knew what the problem is. When it's cold, and I try to use it, it sounds like it wants to fire, but all that happens is I hear air coming out somewhere. Sometimes when it's almost warm enough, I can get it to work without warming it up by doing the following. I unhook the hose, hold the trigger and press the nose to the workpiece and connect the air hose while doing that. Sometimes that will make it fire and then it will start working. However that only works at temps just a little lower than what it would work at normally anyway. If it's above 70 or 75 degrees or so, it works great! Any ideas? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 4 days ago #3044 by MTR-Admin
What is the model number of your nailer?

5 years 3 days ago #3045 by jlmcooldude
Replied by jlmcooldude on topic Bostich finish nailer won't fire till I warm it up
FN1664K

5 years 3 days ago #3046 by MTR-Admin
It sounds like a head valve issue.
I would replace the head valve and assorted o-rings. I'd also look to see if there is a groove in the cap that the head valve slides up and down in as well. Here is the breakdown.

servicenet.bostitch.com/Products/Detail/FN1664K

5 years 3 days ago #3047 by jlmcooldude
Replied by jlmcooldude on topic Bostich finish nailer won't fire till I warm it up
Thank you for the quick response. I guess if there's a groove, then I would need a new cap as well, right? How do I know what o rings are needed with the head valve? Do I just replace all the o rings above and below the head valve, or what?

Thanks again for your time!

5 years 2 days ago #3051 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Bostich finish nailer won't fire till I warm it up
First look to see if there is a groove where the large o-ring moves up in down in the cap. If there is, then a new cap is needed as well. If not, I would simply order a new head valve and the attached o-rings surrounding the head valve.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds