hose too long?

9 years 4 months ago #773 by mrelmo
hose too long? was created by mrelmo
ok recently i mounted a 50 ft air hose from the back of my garage to the front so i had access to the air line at the front of the garage, the line was one of those plastic lines that are not very flexable when it is cold outside, so when i went to use the impact gun the other day it would not break the lug nuts free, (i did have another length of rubber air hose hooked up to the new line at the time, i thought maybe my gun was getting weak so i tried my neighbors gun and the same issue, do i need to run pipe instead of the plastic hose for an extension to the front of the garage, any ideas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #808 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic hose too long?
Thanks for the post!

Any kind of line should be sized by the CFM usage of the tool by figuring the loss of air CFM by each foot of hose used.

If a tool is not working properly, a good idea is to check the configuration between the tool and the air compressor. The difference between what you’re setting in your regulator and what pressure you’re getting in your tool depends on how you set your gauge.

For example, with a 117 psi system you might set your regulator at 90 psi. Out of that, 68 psi will make its way to the coupling, with only about 48 psi going into the tool — that’s 53 percent less psi than perceived.

You can try increasing the PSI to the tool by adjusting the Regulator, but your compressor simply may not put out the CFM you need with the length of hose you're using.

Here are some trouble-shooting points to keep in mind:

- Look for and patch leaks where the tool connects, as this will have a significant impact on the pressure at the tool, causing more quality issues.

- Pay attention to the length of the hose that is connected, as it can also affect the air flow that is carried to the tool as the pressure drops.

- Make sure you follow hose-routing guidelines. This is a major determining factor in how much pressure the tool is receiving.

- Check to make sure the air is clean in the compressor.

- Turn down the limitation on your filter (if you have a water/oil filter in the line) — filter performance is optimized at higher velocities.

- Check for dirt in the lines that can be pushed through along with condensation. This is critical as iron particles can get stuck in the vane and vane motor of the tool, which leads to performance degradation.

- Adjusting/adding to the regulator can enhance performance and air flow.

9 years 4 months ago #809 by mrelmo
Replied by mrelmo on topic hose too long?
where do i find hose routing guide lines

9 years 4 months ago #810 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic hose too long?
Honestly, I would just take a look at the forums on Google, click the below link to check these out:

www.google.com/#q=air+hose+routing+guidelines

It seems many people have found various ways to route the lines correctly.

If you still have questions you can certainly contact the manufacturer of your air compressor, a technical rep should easily be able to obtain some info for you relating to your model.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds