Unknown Table Saw - No Power

6 years 3 months ago #2273 by alexhitchins
Unknown Table Saw - No Power was created by alexhitchins
Hi all,

I have a inherited a rather large, heavy duty table saw. I can't make out any brand name or identification marks except for details on the motor unit.

My problem is it has no power. Starts up OK but under any load it stalls and buzzes. I've replaced the two starter capacitors but this has had no effect. It seems to be a standard 230v motor. I'm running it from a standard socket at the moment although I'd assume it would like to be hard wired in to dedicated 32 amp circuit. I'd expect the thing to be able to cut small amounts of soft wood however on a standard 13amp plug.

Is this a sign the motor has seen better days, or is there something I could try to get it working again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #2278 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Unknown Table Saw - No Power
Thank you for the post!

This definitely sounds like a motor issue. If all the wiring and switching controls are operating it is possibly a shorted field coil or some other internal motor issue.
The inputs to the motor connections need to be checked to see if the motor has what it needs to run and then go from there. It may be worth having an electrician take a look.

- MTR

6 years 3 months ago #2280 by alexhitchins
Replied by alexhitchins on topic Unknown Table Saw - No Power
Good thinking, I might see if I can get access to the motor to check for shorts.

It's fairly seized up so might be too much trouble, plus I'd guess a replacement motor would be expensive.

Thanks again,

AH

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds