Hitachi C10FSB Sliding Compound Miter Problems

6 years 6 months ago #2189 by Nonprophet
I'm getting sparks at the brushes/motor reduced RPMs on the blade, and electric brake not working. Replaced brushes, did not solve problem. In researching it, it would seem that either the stator or the armature is the problem. I've disassembled the saw trying to get to the stator to inspect it, but I cannot get the plastic motor/stator cover off, nor can I remove the armature.

Can anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #2195 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Hitachi C10FSB Sliding Compound Miter Problems
Thanks for the post!

I can't give you exact instructions on how to disassemble this miter saw as I haven't myself, but the armature can be removed by pulling the bearing out of the housing that it's pressed in. It may take some effort but it will come out once the bearing is free.

You can see a full breakdown of this model by clicking on the below link:

mastertoolrepair.com/10-duel-bevel-slidi...e316nihqp7h3upf5vbg5

Most likely the armature needs to be replaced as the copper segments (the commutator) are probably damaged. If there are large gaps between each segment or it looks burnt then it needs to be replaced. You can try "dressing" the armature to clean it up, but most likely it'll need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

- MTR

6 years 4 months ago #2239 by Nonprophet
Replied by Nonprophet on topic Hitachi C10FSB Sliding Compound Miter Problems
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I wish the manual were a little more clear, but basically you have to tap on the outer edges of the plastic stator/armature housing in order to free the armature. There is a bearing on the end of the armature shaft that gets seated into the plastic housing, and you have to break this bond by tapping with a plastic hammer.

So, I got it apart, looked at the armature and stator, and decided to try dressing the armature to see if that would work as I didn't see any obvious damage, just black smudge on the commutators. So i dressed/cleaned it with 800 grit emory cloth, and put it all back together with the new brushes. Long story short, that didn't take care of the problem, and one of the commutator bladed fell off the armature and gouged the brushes.... :(

So now I'm needing to replace the armature for sure. Amazon has them but there are two listed for my C10FSB: one is 110-120v and the other is 120v-127v. The first one is $119, and the 2nd one is only $38.99. Obviously, I'd really prefer to get the cheaper one....will it work for standard US outlets? What id the real world difference between the two armatures?

Thanks!

6 years 4 months ago #2242 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Hitachi C10FSB Sliding Compound Miter Problems
I thought that might be the case...

It is a bit confusing, I agree. The manual lists about 6 different armatures, some rated at different voltages and others for different countries.

What is the serial number of your saw? I think this is the best way to find the correct armature.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds