DEWALT DC 385 brush replacement

7 years 8 months ago #1780 by red2816
DEWALT DC 385 brush replacement was created by red2816
I have a dewalt dc 385 type 2 reciprocating saw and I need to replace the brushes.I am very mechanically inclined but for the life of me I can't figure out how to take it apart.The problem that I am having is how to take the front cover off,It's the cover that has the foot on the end and that is the real problem is how to get the foot or the guide for the blade I don't know what it is called, off so I can get to the screws that hold it on.The rest of the disassemble is not a problem I can do that.Any help would be greatly appreciated I can't find any help.THANK YOU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #1786 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic DEWALT DC 385 brush replacement
Thanks for the post!

The front cover will come off after the shoe and the blade release are removed. You may need to spray some lubricant under the cover depending on the condition of the tool. The cover will pull straight off giving access to the bolts for disassembly of the motor. The handle halves will also need to be removed. The brushes come as an assembly, brush and holder, and are held in place by the plastic bearing support.

The lubricant is probably necessary because I know from experience that the rubber boot can be a pain to remove. Sometimes I would have to put the saw in a vice and take some channellocks or vice grips to grip the boot, then pull it off.

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds