Compound Miter Saw Base Repair

8 years 10 months ago #1066 by MT2E
Compound Miter Saw Base Repair was created by MT2E
Hello, I bought a Craftsman 10" Compound Miter Saw for $20 through craigslist. It had been dropped so the back leg is broken, it's dirty and there's a little oxidation. All of that I can fix easily and the 3hp motor runs good and strong. The base however had no movement side to side so I took it apart, cleaned and sanded the whole thing. Now the problem is getting it lined up or balanced correctly. Right now it turns about 20 degrees, gets stuck and I have to remove it and try again. I'm using WD-40 and an aluminum lubricant.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 10 months ago #1067 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Compound Miter Saw Base Repair
Thanks for the post Mike.

That's a tough one, have you tried to use a silicone-based spray lubricant?

Something like the below options would do the trick, probably:

www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3503050

www.lowes.com/pd_124699-39963-D00100101_0__

Silicone lubricants are more effective as we use this in our shop for a variety of purposes. I would try this, first.

- MTR

8 years 10 months ago #1070 by MT2E
Replied by MT2E on topic Compound Miter Saw Base Repair
Thanks for the advice. It took a little more sanding than I was expecting, but I got it sliding pretty smoothly. Since it's aluminum I started with 220 grit by hand and was getting nowhere. Step by step I got up to an 80grit drum sander attachment in a drill and that really started making some progress. I took a little off each surface that touches, until they were nice and smooth. It's not exactly as good as new, but for $20 I stole it.
Thanks.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds