DeWalt framing nailer D51844

6 years 5 months ago #2223 by Ink
DeWalt framing nailer D51844 was created by Ink
This nail gun fires nails even when not depressed on a piece of wood so if I'm holding the nail gun in the air I can pull the trigger it will fire nails according to DeWalt online there's a recall according to them when I call them on the phone there is no recall. Anyone have this framing nailer D51844 type 2 that can shed light on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #2227 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic DeWalt framing nailer D51844
Thanks for the post!

This problem is due to the #15 Safety Mechanism. Obviously right now, when you depress the trigger, the firing pin on the Trigger Valve is being actuated, so it's firing a nail. Since you're only supposed to be able to fire the nailer after the Trip is depressed against the firing surface, clearly the #15 Safety Mechanism isn't working properly. I would make sure the Trip (Nose), Safety mechanism, Trigger and Spring are all connected as they should be. Basically, the firing pin on the Trigger Valve should only be depressed when the Trip is depressed against the firing surface.

You can view a diagram of this nailer on DeWalt's site by clicking on the below link:

servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail?is...&selectedType=19488#

DeWalt Tools direct phone# is 800-433-9258, did you already call and speak with them? I also show there is a product recall for this model. Ideally they would take care of this directly with you, most likely by having you stop into the closest authorized service center to have them repair it.

- MTR

6 years 5 months ago #2230 by Ink
Replied by Ink on topic DeWalt framing nailer D51844
Thanks for the reply. I did contact DeWalt but never got a call back they claimed there was no recall even though online it shows my exact gun with a recall but I was able to bend the metal tab on the trigger to keep it from firing sequential so now I have to pull the trigger to get it to fire but it will still fire in mid-air which is not right. It doesn't look like that metal piece you refer to is damaged vent or anything like that, I'm not sure why it's doing this?

6 years 5 months ago #2233 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic DeWalt framing nailer D51844
There is a trigger or contact trip issue here, obviously very dangerous.

The contact trip on the nose prevents the trigger valve from actuating until the nailer is in position to fire safely. I would honestly take it in to an authorized DeWalt Service Center to have repaired at this point.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds