Bostitch RN45B is skipping nails, leaking from trigger ...

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #2010 by MontanaMan
Stanley Bostitch RN45B-1.

I bought this gun new, always lubed it with a few drops of pneumatic oil each use, and kept it clean. I've only done about 15 roofs with this gun ... minimal wear.

Then ... I put it in a box for 20 years in my detached garage. Temps here in Montana fluctuated between -30 to +105 degrees F. It worked perfectly before storage. Now ... it has 2 problems:

1 - leaking air constantly from trigger. Will I have to replace the entire trigger valve kit (TVA6), which costs about $20.00, or do you think it will be OK to replace only the o-rings on the trigger valve? I can get the trigger o-rings as a separate kit for $4.00.

2 - Skipping nails. It seems to skip every other nail or every third nail. What causes this?

3 - Does the Bostitch RBK13 rebuild kit include o-ring lubricant, or will I need to buy that separately?

4 - I found your video on rebuilding the Bostitch RN46 nailer. Is the RN45 very different? Will the RN46 video be ok for the RN45 nailer?

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #2014 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post!

1 - I would recommend replacing the o-rings only, as they're most likely dry-rotted. The plastic valve is most likely in good shape as you haven't used it too much before you put it in storage.

2 - If it's skipping nails, this is most likely due to a faulty Feeder Springs which is in the Feeder assembly on the side of the nose of the nailer, as well as the small springs in the Feed Pawl. Check for tension in the small springs as well as the integrity of the o-rings on the feeder piston. I'm sure most of the o-rings have succumbed to dry-rot being Montana summers (and winters) get very dry.

3 - I don't believe the RBK13 comes with o-ring lubricant. This can be purchased really anywhere, but we also carry it here: mastertoolrepair.com/nailer-ring-grease-p-16759.html

4 - These nailers are virtually the same, they have very minor differences so the rebuilt process should be nearly identical. The main difference on the RN46 is that it has a magnesium body and depth adjustment on the nose of the nailer.

Also, you can find a breakdown and parts list for this nailer on our site by clicking the below link:

mastertoolrepair.com/pneumatic-coil-roof...23m9s4443adolt9jnj25

Hope this helps!

- MTR

7 years 2 months ago #2017 by MontanaMan
Thank you for your thoughtful answer.

I ordered the RBK13 rebuild kit, and overhauled the entire head/cylinder assembly, plus the little nail advance cylinder on the side. I lubed everything with o-ring lube and a little oil during assembly. I put in a new trigger valve, and fired it up ... doesn't work.

When I pull the trigger, the gun doesn't cycle ... air just come pouring out of the trigger. I put in the old trigger valve and I get the same thing.

I took off the head again, and pushed the driver all the way down, put the head back on, and tried it again like that ... still didn't work. Then, I pushed the driver up a little (with the gun assembled) and still didn't work. I tried it with the driver in all positions, still wouldn't cycle.

I get the feeling that if I could just get the gun to fire once, it would "reset" itself and work fine after that.

Any ideas?

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #2018 by MontanaMan
OK ... problem solved. I looked deeper into your Air Nailer forum, and found this thread:

forums.mastertoolrepair.com/index.php/fo...er-piston-won-t-fire

And just like in that other thread, I had installed the wrong outer o-ring on the head valve. Many of those o-rings in the rebuild kit look exactly the same. Also, when you pull off an old o-ring, it might be a little stretched out, which makes it harder to find which one is the proper replacement. It would be helpful if Stanley-Bostitch would label each o-ring in their rebuild kit with a part number and even where it goes, like: "MRG052526 -- Head valve outer o-ring".

So anyway ... my mistake was to put the head valve outer o-ring between the cylinder and the bulkhead, and put the cylinder-bulkhead o-ring on the outside of the head valve. After swapping them to correct the mistake, I put the metal head cap back on and everything works beautifully now. No more leaks, no more skipping nails.

For anybody who reads this in the future, the key thing is what the MTR admin said in his first response in the thread linked above: The o-ring on the outside of the head valve should be a LOOSE FIT. Find and use the one that fits loosely. Also, with the proper bulkhead o-ring installed on the cylinder, the cylinder will slide into the bulkhead much more easily.

I think later versions of the RN45 have two o-rings going around the outside of the head valve. That's a great idea, because when they loose their seal, the whole gun stops working. I wish mine had two.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Now my roofing nailer will be ready to do my roof in the spring.

Best of luck to all who read this.

7 years 2 months ago #2019 by MTR-Admin
Excellent, it's great to know you've found the problem, and others will certainly appreciate this solution. I contacted my Bostitch rep and he seconded what you found, that the O.D. head valve o-ring must be a loose fit so it can seal. Sometimes the groove cut for the o-ring can be worn down so if you did replace the correct o-ring and the issue persisted, you would need to replace the head valve (which of course is obsolete for this nailer).

Thanks again for posting, and happy roofing come Spring!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds