Hitachi EC89 Help!

5 years 5 months ago #2764 by JPPJ
Hitachi EC89 Help! was created by JPPJ
I bought this recently used. Plugged it in, pulled the on switch, building pressure for roughly 6-10 seconds built about 20-25 psi and shut off. Depleted tanks but did not go on again without pressing reset. It repeated same operation. I did not deplete the tanks this time and pressed reset and it built another 25psi to total roughly 50psi. Depleted tanks again and did not kick on. Figured third time would be the charm but repeated. Turned regulator pressure all the way up still no difference,turned all the way down same. Any help appreciated on where to start considering cost. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #2765 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Hitachi EC89 Help!
Did you buy this new?
The pressure regulator will not help with the issue.
It could be that the motor windings are going bad or the capacitor is bad.
Part number 887061.

Item 63 on this page is the pressure switch. This could "Possibly" be the problem.
mastertoolrepair.com/pressure-switch-ec1...82609-p-1177390.html
OR
It could be a defective reset button, number 65 found here:
mastertoolrepair.com/thermal-protection-...87071-p-1177106.html

The entire unit is here:
mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-parts-ec89-p-40711.html

5 years 5 months ago #2768 by JPPJ
Replied by JPPJ on topic Hitachi EC89 Help!
Thanks for getting back to me. Okay more info. Filled oil to capacity although no cutoff option. Turned pressure switch screw + all the way based on suggestion. The only way to start pumping is by pressing in the reset. It pumps to 25psi then cuts out. I can do this numerous times to full capacity. But when the thermal button pops I can only start the process over by pushing in the pressure switch to off, relief valve psst..and pull back out and hit reset, then she pumps again....how can I test the reset for malfunction or what is causing it to pop??? Thanks for the assistance.

5 years 5 months ago #2770 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Hitachi EC89 Help!
If the reset button trips while it is building pressure, not just when it starts up, then you have either a motor winding issue or the capacitor(s) need to be tested.
View this how-to video below:
mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-capacitor-p-19193.html

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds