Husky HS781004AJ 80 gallon 2 cylinder Compressor

6 years 4 months ago #2234 by evodawg
Compressor starts and runs up to about 150 PSI. Blows the house panel 220 circuit breaker. Also blows the internal motor breaker. Drain air and wait 1/2 hour trip the panel circuit breaker, turn it on, runs for 15 seconds and blows circuit breaker at house panel again... This unit has hardly been used so can't imagine its the motor. Could it be the Pressure Switch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #2235 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Husky HS781004AJ 80 gallon 2 cylinder Compressor
Thanks for the post!

I would first do a simple Check Valve test. Essentially, you need to find out if your tank holds pressure after the units shuts off. If it does, your CV is alright; if it leaks at all when it shuts off, the CV is sticking open and putting back-pressure on the pump head.

You can find out how to test it by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

Also, I would test the motor Capacitors. You can do this with a standard voltmeter, but you may have to take it in to an electrical supply shop to have them test the capacitors, as they may be faulty and need replacing.

Lastly, l would also check the size of wiring you're using versus the amp draw of the motor at 220 volts. Again, this is best confirmed by an electrician.

- MTR

6 years 4 months ago #2236 by evodawg
I will look into your fix and get back to you. Appreciate the quick response..

6 years 3 months ago #2248 by evodawg
Actually it was the Start Capacitor. Replaced that and all is fine....

6 years 3 months ago #2249 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Husky HS781004AJ 80 gallon 2 cylinder Compressor
That's great to hear, glad you got it squared away! This is a very common symptom when the start capacitor goes out so I'm not surprised. Happy compressing!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds