Pressure Relief Valve on Alemite Twin 5 HP Compressor

6 years 5 months ago #2214 by Valzan
I have an older (appx 1972) Alemite compressor that I picked up from an auto body paint shop. The shop had been closed for awhile and it's been a couple of years since I bought it. It has been indoors all of this time and is in really nice shape. It looks to be about a 180 Gal horizontal tank with two five HP two cylinder compressors. After spending the weekend setting it up, I started it for the first time this afternoon. It starts and runs very well and came up to 180 lbs pressure pretty quickly which isn't all that surprising considering it has two compressors. Each compressor has a pressure relief valve that appears to be diaphragm activated. They look like small versions of power brake vacuum boosters with a small vent hole at the bottom. They both remain closed all the way up to pressure. The problem is that as soon as the unit reaches shutoff pressure and both compressors to turn off, one of the pressure relief valves opens and bleeds off air pressure until the low pressure point is reached and the compressors start up again. Once they start, the pressure relief valve closes and pressure builds. The cycle repeats and always with the same relief valve opening, the other one is fine. Logic would say replace the relief valve but it's an integrated device and the compressor is 45 years old. I have photos if that would help. Does this sound like a valve malfunction, or something else causing the valve to open. I've turned back high pressure shutoff point to 150 lbs from 180 lbe and there isn't a change in behavior.

Any thoughts and suggestione would be appreciated,

Thanks !!!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #2216 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post Valzan!

You may have to end up replacing that particular centrifugal unloading valve on the pump that's leaking. However, you may simply have a defective in-tank check valve.

Follow the main supply lines down to the tank inlet and they should thread into the check valve. Obviously, this one-way valve is supposed to hold the air in the tank, but it very well may be stuck open, and is therefore back-feeding air through the lines and happens to be leaking out of the one unloader valve.

You can perform a simple check valve test to confirm, just pump the unit up and when it shuts off, start to remove the supply line where it goes into the check valve. If it begins to leak, then you have a defective check valve.
You may simply be able to clean it out and re-install it, but if not then you'll have to replace the check valve. It's probably much easier finding a check valve for this unit than finding the replacement unloader valve.

Let me know what you get with the test and we'll go from there.

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valzan

6 years 5 months ago #2217 by Valzan
MTR,
You were spot on with the check valve diagnosis. I disassembled it and it was in the very early stages of gumming up. A little "just in time" cleaning and lubrication took care of the problem. Thanks for your assist.
Valzan

6 years 5 months ago #2225 by MTR-Admin
That's excellent to hear! It's always nice when you find the problem and repair it without spending money.

Thanks for posting!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds