Motor and pump pairing

6 years 7 months ago #2168 by Bendicon
Motor and pump pairing was created by Bendicon
The pump on my Husky 26 gal, 115v compressor seized. Instead of just replacing the pump i been thinking about getting a bigger pump with higher CFM. How do i calculate how big of a pump my 5 horse power motor will drive? I have seen pumps rated with hp. Is the hp for a motor the same hp for a pump, ie does it take a 5hp motor to drive a 5 hp pump?

I have seen a YOUTUBE video of a guy wanting to modify his compressor to get more CFM by going with a larger pulley on the pump. Years ago i did a little automotive spray painting and my compressor would not keep up. I had to stop every few minutes to let the compressor catch up. A bigger pump with more CFM would be nice.:cheer:

Thanks, Vic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #2173 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Motor and pump pairing
Thanks for the post Vic,

It's honestly not recommended to install a larger pump, as most likely the motor will not be able to drive the pump. It will likely struggle and overheat.
This is essentially doing the same thing as installing a larger pulley on the motor...the RPM's increase which increases the CFM.

If the Motor is a 3 HP motor and you're looking to install a pump that requires a 4 HP or 5 HP motor, it will certainly overwork and overheat the motor.

Typically, most pumps can be used with motor in a specific range.
E.g. the Jenny "KU" pump can be operated with a 1.5, 2 or 3 HP motor...the higher HP motor gives you more torque, which allows you to use a larger pulley, which gives you more RPM and CFM.

What is the model number of your Husky unit?

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds