Start capacitor sizing for GE 3hp single phase 230v compressor motor

6 years 9 months ago #2111 by Iwright89
Hello all:

First off thanks for any replies as I am new to the forum and am thankful for any help you can throw my way. I inherited a older energair air compressor from my uncle. Just buying my first home it was a welcomed gift for my renovations. It has what I assume is an older General Electric single phase 230v 3hp motor. The model number is 5KC184AL2238U. I've had little luck finding any info on it. When it was given to me I found the centrifugal switch was damage resulting in it constantly trying to engage run and start windings simultaneously. After I repaired this the start capacitors failed. I bought two new ones. It is a little odd since their is two start capacitors in series. 460-552uf 110-125v. I replaced them both with ones of same rating although physically they were half the size. I just figured this was from the original ones being so old they are made smaller now. It worked well for about 10-20 cycles and then they cut out. Both show as open. My question is that I've been reading series capacitors can be temperamental and likely they were used in this motor for space requirements. I was thinking of using a single 216-250uf 220-250v capacitor. Does this make sense to do this? I am a rookie with this type of thing but I am a die hard diy type but most of my electrical experience is with 12-24 v systems. Any help is very much appreciated. Hate to buy a new motor if it's just a capicitor sizing issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds