MOTOR WONT START

6 years 9 months ago #2086 by Tomstr
MOTOR WONT START was created by Tomstr
I have a 6 1/2 hp electric motor on a air compressor I can't get the motor to start it's getting voltage but the pressure switch isn't getting a spark but the motor gets power to the switch I can't figure this out please help All wires on motor have continuity...nothing grounded???no noise no movement just dead....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago #2088 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic MOTOR WONT START
Thanks for the post Tomstr,

I am not sure what is going on here exactly by your description, honestly. If you are going to check out the electric motor, be sure you are very familiar with how to diagnose it, if not I would certainly take it to a professional motor repair technician.

Diagnosing an electrical circuit needs to be done in a logical progression: Is there an adequate power supply - do you have power to and through the pressure switch - are the connections correct - is there a starting capacitor and is it working properly - is there a centrifugal switch in the motor and is it working properly - is there a short in the motor - is something binding the motor to keep it from turning?

You need to look at all the possibilities and know how to check them to find the fault. As a disclaimer I have to say that because electricity is dangerous and can be deadly only qualified technicians should service or repair electrically powered equipment.

- MTR

6 years 9 months ago #2093 by Tomstr
Replied by Tomstr on topic MOTOR WONT START
Ok update!!! I bought a pressure switch and run and start caps,still nothing, I removed the reset switch took the wire that went to that switch and installed it to the terminal.. now I have the ark at the pressure switch.. no I need to know if you can bypass that switch and start the motor? Or does it need to be there to start? If it can be bypassed then I have to make sure the run and start caps are wires properly? That being said when I power it on now I lose power at the L1 and L2 when pressure switch turned off then it shows 110volts. How do I get 110? NOW MY POWER IS FROM A 6500 watt generator it has a 220 plug... is that the source of all my problems?

6 years 9 months ago #2096 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic MOTOR WONT START
Tomstr,

Do you have the make and model# of the compressor? That, and/or a photo of your setup would greatly help.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds