Compressor trips circuit breaker

6 years 10 months ago #2078 by a1handy
Compressor trips circuit breaker was created by a1handy
While using my 60 Gallon Ingersol Rand single stage air compressor the circuit breaker tripped when the compressor motor tried to start for a recharge. I reset the circuit breaker but the compressor still will not start. I can turn the compressor easily by hand. What can be causing this? When trying to reset the motor the button offers no resistance nor do I hear a click that is usually associated with this maneuver.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago #2081 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Compressor trips circuit breaker
Thanks for the post!

Most likely the problem is your in-tank Check Valve.

You can find a video on how to test the check valve by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

The valve is probably sticking open after the unit reaches max PSI and shuts off, so you have backpressure in the lines and on the pump head. This is enough resistance to trip the breaker.

If the unit hums when it attempts to restart, it could certainly be a start capacitor problem. You would need to remove the star cap and test it with either a capacitor tester or a voltmeter.

My bet, however, is on the check valve as that is the most common problem (as well as the symptom the compressor is having) with any air compressor.

Hopefully this helps!

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds