Moving Air Compressor to Shed

7 years 6 months ago #1876 by jaredpa
Moving Air Compressor to Shed was created by jaredpa
Hi, was hoping you guys could help me out with some of my questions.

I live in PA. Moving the shop air compressor from shop to 8'x16' shed. The compressor is Ingersoll Rand Model 2475 with 80 gallon tank. Hoping you guys can fill me in on what issues might happen.

1. The piping will be running from air compressor through the wall of the shed outside into the elements then through a block wall into the shop. Pa sees temps from 0 degrees in the winter to 95 degrees in the summer. Anyone see a problem with using black pipe and not insulation the pipe? Feel free to let me know any other issues that might occur.

2. Once the black pipe is in the building is it okay to run air hose line? Or should I stay with black pipe.

3. Should I have a dryer or just water catchers every where I want to connection?

I'm sure there will be more questions. Thanks for you help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #1877 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Moving Air Compressor to Shed
Thanks for the post Jared,

I would definitely recommend using an all-weather compressor pump oil, firstly, if the shed is not heated. Compressors do not like sub-freezing temps. Any condensation in the tank will probably freeze, which may cause issues. Some dryers will not operate in sub-freezing temps. You may end up damaging the water separator inside the dryer when the water freezes. I would say that there is a good chance that condensation will form in the line and possibly freeze. Is there a reason you can’t have it in the shop? A number of issues could arise with the shed set-up.

An insulated pipe might be better, I can’t say for sure whether it will help. How far would the piping/air hose be once it enters the building and what diameter will you be using?

- MTR

7 years 6 months ago #1878 by jaredpa
Replied by jaredpa on topic Moving Air Compressor to Shed
I use All season T30 Select Synthetic Compressor Oil at the moment. The shed will be heated in the winter months hoping to keep it 55/60 in the shed. The reason for moving to the shed is noise. Plus the shed gives us more storage as well. I was thinking 1" black iron on the outside. Then 1" air hose on the inside. That is my question should I insulate the pipe or not. I don't think I will have to but i'm not really sure. Piping would probably be about 4' to the building the 6' up the wall then goes inside. I'm not really sure I would need a dryer. Was just asking for input.

7 years 6 months ago #1879 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Moving Air Compressor to Shed
Jared,

Not insulating the pipe may possibly cause more condensation so I would insulate it. Even if you don’t put in water separators, I would recommend a couple line drops, just to drain out the collected condensation and to keep it from your tools. The size of the piping and air hose should be adequate, unless you are running more than 300 feet.

You may not need a dryer, as long as you have some line drops (particulate filters) along the lines. If you find that you do have too much moisture in the lines still then yes, a dryer would be necessary.

I hope this helps, some.

- MTR

7 years 6 months ago #1880 by jaredpa
Replied by jaredpa on topic Moving Air Compressor to Shed
Thank you

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds