DIY Air Compressor Magnetic Starter Switch

7 years 7 months ago #1824 by jontsmith@sbcglobal.net
DIY Air Compressor Magnetic Starter Switch was created by jontsmith@sbcglobal.net
Hi Gang.
I run a powdercoating operation in my garage, and built my own oven, down to the controller, from scratch.
It's been going great for about 8 years. The ony reason I mention it is so you will understand I have a grasp on electrical things.
However, I will always consult with other before construction a DYI project. Maybe I don;t have a lot of confidence in my ideas, but this one needs a go over. I thought this was a good place to ask. Please be kind

OK here goes.
My Porter cable c7550 5hp 80 gallon compressor developed a stuck on pressure switch and blew the safety valve. Scared a stain out of me to say the least.
I did get it to turn off, however it then would not turn back on until I actually got in there and pried the contacts apart. This is where my daily education begins.

26A rating on the contacts. Seems they are all made like that. Hmmm. the new ones with the same part number are actually rated 12 A. This will not do for a 5hp 32Amp compressor. What were they thinking?

Well, to be fair this has lasted abut 8 years of pretty good use, (sanblasting at 10+CFM) but I still do not like the idea of replacing it with another 26A switch. Sometimes I take a blasting rig out to the back 40 and do some tank blasting. Can you imagine the carnage it that stuck on when I was way out there, unable to hear it?

Enter the Magnetic starter.
From my understanding this is a thermal overload protected high current relay. Correct?

I just happen to have 3, Tyco 40A double pole 240v relays with 240v coil voltage I swiped out of a 27kw 3 circuit tankless water heater. I know the relays are in good working order.

If I use an adjustable 28-40A thermal overload relay as protection, wouldn't these tyco relays serve as the magnetic switch I desire and give me 2 back up units? This would use the stock pressure switch to turn on a big boy relay for acceptable high current contacts.

Of course it will need a power switch to the mag starter unit, and a box.
I know i can just go out and buy a magnetic starter, however it would be more rewarding to make use of something I already have, and DIY.
Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #1825 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic DIY Air Compressor Magnetic Starter Switch
Thanks for the post Jon,

That's a great question, but due to your creative approach let's put it to the DIY community out there to see if others have found a solution, as right off the top of my head, I'm not sure either (I admit I'm not an electrician!).

- MTR

7 years 7 months ago #1826 by jontsmith@sbcglobal.net
Replied by jontsmith@sbcglobal.net on topic DIY Air Compressor Magnetic Starter Switch
Thanks MTR

For more information.
The relay number is
m2100-20U6999L

The protect relay is this.

Now to find a suitable box, and a 2 pole switch.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds