Coleman Powermate air compressor

7 years 7 months ago #1808 by Potterm
Coleman Powermate air compressor was created by Potterm
I have an air compressor mentioned in subject (part # L0502710. Quite often when the pressure drops and it kicks on, it will fill, kick off and be blowing air out of the pressure switch. Now if I pull the pressure relief valve open for just a second then close it, the air will stop escaping. If I do nothing, the air will continue to escape and it will trip my breaker. My guess is to replace the pressure switch assembly but being that it costs close to $100 I'd like some advice beforehand. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #1809 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Coleman Powermate air compressor
Thanks for the post!

Your tank Check Valve is probably the cause of the leak. This is the one way valve that is in the manifold, which the Pressure Switch threads into, as well as your Regulator and Pressure Gauges.

You can view the full breakdown of this compressor on our website by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/portable-oil-fr...602710-p-747239.html

Also, you can view a video on how to test your Check Valve by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

If the ball and spring valve isn't closing when the unit shuts off, you will get back pressure from the tank and it will typically leak out of the small Unloader Valve weep hole which is on the side of the pressure switch.

Try this test and reply to let me know what you find.

- MTR

7 years 7 months ago #1811 by Potterm
Replied by Potterm on topic Coleman Powermate air compressor
I was able to test it and yes it appears that it is the Check Valve. So is this something I can take apart, Clean, and put back together to get it working right again?

7 years 7 months ago #1813 by MTR-Admin
That's what I figured, good deal.

You can take this Check Valve (#6 in the diagram) apart and clean it, this may rectify the problem. At the bottom of the Manifold #11 on the diagram) you'll see the brass adapter which is the Check Valve; there is a ball and spring inside. The Discharge Tube from the Pump Head threads into the bottom of the Check Valve. There may simply be debris or rust which is not allowing the valve to close all the way after the unit reaches pressure and shuts off. Try cleaning it up first, but it may simply be that either the ball and/or spring are missing, which would obviously mean replacing it with a new Check Valve.

Hope this helps.

- MTR

7 years 4 months ago #1934 by sleaver
Replied by sleaver on topic Coleman Powermate air compressor
I have a Coleman Power Mate Model#B3511. I need the piston Assy that is not available.Can you buy a replacement pump or just junk it!

7 years 4 months ago #1935 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post!

Actually the Piston/Cylinder Kit is still available through us. The part# is 048-0074M and it's $89 + shipping.

You can view it and order it by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/piston-cylinder...048-0074m-p-323.html

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: sleaver

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds