Emglo K5GA-8P kills at pressure cutout

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1800 by furnacefred
Emglo K5GA-8P kills at pressure cutout was created by furnacefred
Hello all, I recently bought the Emglo gas powered compressor K5GA-8P at an online auction site unseen. I am impressed with the build quality of this machine and believe it had little use. I think it may have been used for one construction season and then put away for years without winterizing the engine. I have no idea of its age but it has the 206 cc Briggs engine on it. I completely cleaned the carburetor and all ports inside as well as the tank and new gaskets diaphragm etc. I drained and flushed the crankcase of the engine and the pump, refilled oil and gave it a pull. This thing popped off on the second pull and ran perfectly with a minor needle valve adj. when it reached cutout pressure, the valve kicked out and activated a small brass piston that forces up the engine governor arm and thereby closes the throttle valve to idle. It kills immediately like the plug was grounded to the head. I am not sure if the problem is in the linkage of the carb-governor, or the carb is not supplying fuel at the idle position. I cant find any info or diagrams on the linkage for the Briggs unit and the Honda unit hooks up completely different so I cannot tell if it is linked properly or what. I am a master tech and repair complex equipment daily that no one can figure out, so I am somewhat embarrassed to be stumped by this po-dunk little Briggs after fixing and running them since I was a kid. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and a diagram of the proper linkage setup would be icing on the cake. Thank you

PS: The s/n of the unit is A071483086 if age can be determined would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #1802 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Emglo K5GA-8P kills at pressure cutout
Thanks for the post!

That's an old unit, it looks like it was made in '83 by the looks of it. It's a great, solid air compressor...one of the best you can buy (contractor, reciprocating compressors, that is).

I don't know if this will help, but the attached .pdf is the only information I could dig up for the throttle/idle control valve assembly on the Briggs engine. Take a look at the last page, that would be the 5hp Briggs engine throttle diagram.

If you still need more info I'll contact my Emglo rep and see if I can obtain more detailed information for you.

- MTR
Attachments:

7 years 8 months ago #1804 by furnacefred
Replied by furnacefred on topic Emglo K5GA-8P kills at pressure cutout
Thank you for the diagram on the bullwhip control, but I'm afraid mine is even older, as is the engine. It is a 206cc Briggs "Magnetron" and the piston idle control unit is screwed to the plate attached to the gas tank and bolted to the engine base. When up to pressure, the piston comes up, and forces the governor lever all the way up, and she goes to idle. As it turns out, this had nothing to due with the idle problem. I tore it all back down after the carb rebuild, and discovered the gasket between the carb and head had swung down on one bolt and was pinched right down the middle of the port. I tacked it this time with permatex and reassembled it. One pull and she ran perfectly and idled down smoothly after a minor adjustment. The thing runs like new now, but it seems slow to pump up or recover. I'm going to get a tach and check the engine speed and then calculate the cfm on the pump. If it is not up to snuff, maybe a new valve kit or a rebuild kit will be my next step, after gasket installation 101 refresher course.

7 years 8 months ago #1805 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Emglo K5GA-8P kills at pressure cutout
Good deal, I'm glad you found the problem.

There's a very good chance the pump needs a valve job. The springs have probably lost tension over the years and the valves and seats could have a lot of carbon/rust build-up.

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds