1947 United States Air Compressor Co. Help

8 years 2 weeks ago #1559 by JCBond
This air compressor sat on the side of a small store in Fayette, Utah. The store was purchased by the last owner in 1947, just after he got out of the war in the South Pacific. So he would have bought the compressor new when he bought the store. The store was closed in 1986. The family that owned the store was cleaning up their yard and told me I could have it if I hauled it off.

I put a new motor, a new pressure switch and a new gauge. and it fires up and runs fine.

However, there are times when it is sluggish and runs slow and then trips either the motor breaker or the panel box breaker. If you can tell from the picture, I have the unloader taken off to see if that might be an issue.

It is a 220 5hp Century electric motor. 3450 rpms. It has a 6 inch pulley on the motor side.

Also, from the pictures you can see there are slots for two belts on the compressor. I was wondering if it needs two belts to run properly or what the purpose of that is.

If anyone is familiar with this unit, I would appreciate any help in figuring out why it runs sluggish at times. At other times it starts up and runs perfect to 120 psi when it shuts off.

Do you think the rpm's are too fast on the motor, or the pulley is too small on the motor?

Thanks

Justin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 weeks ago #1569 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic 1947 United States Air Compressor Co. Help
Thanks for the post Justin,

Wow, THAT is an old air compressor! It's pretty unbelievable that it's still there, and runs at that, being it has the original pump.

I would first test the Check Valve, as this is a common cause for many problems like sluggish pressurization, leaks, motor problems etc..

You can find out how to test the Check Valve by clicking on the below link. There is a video there and a link where you can read instructions on how to test it. BUT, I would probably replace it as it's most likely rusted and not opening and closing like it should.

www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

I would think that running it with one Belt is okay, but I would throw another one on there to be safe. This is to balance the motor/pump when it runs. At this point there is a little more pressure being put on the inside Belt. It's not a big deal, but I'd recommend installing the second Belt.

- MTR

8 years 4 days ago #1601 by roberts
Replied by roberts on topic 1947 United States Air Compressor Co. Help
Original they had 1750rpm motor. May be running pump too fast. Be glad to talk about it by phone. Let me know if you want to talk by phone. (330-733-7044 EST - keep trying.)

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds