air compressor repair help

8 years 9 months ago #1103 by smitty
air compressor repair help was created by smitty
Hi,
I just picked up a used Husky 25 gal air compressor. When I started it up it ran well and sounded just fine. It took its time, 10 min or so, to get to 70 psi. Well that is as far as it got with the pressure.
I allowed it to run about 20 min but the pressure gauge still showed 70 psi. What do you think my problem could be? It holds the 70 psi pressure over night and I can hear no leaks. The model # is Y6020-WK
Thank you for your help.
P.S. Maureen Graham sent me a check list of what to look for when a compressor is not producing enough air but I would like your input as well if you would.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago #1104 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic air compressor repair help
Thanks for the post Smitty.

Knowing the model# of the unit, I can say with pretty good certainty that the problem is most likely the Reed Valves in the pump head.
You can see a schematic and parts list of this unit on our site by clicking on the below link, btw:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/portable-oil-fr...6020wk-p-759564.html

The Valve Plate Assy is how it is sold and includes the valve plates with reed valves pre-installed. You would also need to order the "D30139" Gasket Kit when replacing the valve plate, which also includes the Tube Seal that seals the transfer tube inside the head; this is also a very common part to leak as it eventually deforms and destroys the seal at the exhaust in the pump head, so it's included.

Most likely you'll find that one of the reed valves in the pump head is either rusted or damaged and/or a damaged Gasket, therefore not allowing the unit to pump to its maximum PSI.

Also inspect the Piston (Compression) Ring; if it's torn or chipped along the outer edge this can certainly cause the problem you're experiencing.

Hope this helps!

- MTR

8 years 9 months ago #1108 by smitty
Replied by smitty on topic air compressor repair help
Thank you very much. I appreciate your help. I'm working on it today.

The link in your reply for the schematic doesn't work, but if it is similar to the schematic that appears on this website for my specific model#, can I use that schematic?

8 years 9 months ago #1109 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic air compressor repair help
You can, sure. Or, you can simply search "Y6020-WK" on our website and click on the first result which will bring you to the schematic for this unit.

Feel free to post here once you tear it apart and we'll go from there.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds