Name: Piston Kit Service Model: WL211000SJ

8 years 11 months ago #996 by carrollmillen
Name: Piston Kit Service Model: WL211000SJ was created by carrollmillen
My compressor needs a piston kit. I can see scores in the old cylinder without even disassembling it. My question is: After disassembling to install the piston kit, will all the gaskets be ruined or can I reuse them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #997 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Name: Piston Kit Service Model: WL211000SJ
Thanks for the post!

Good question. Most of the time you can reuse the original Gaskets, but it depends on the age of the unit, what condition it's stored in, etc..

Make sure you take the Head and Valve Plate assembly off as one whole piece, try not to separate them if you don't have to. The more you separate the Gaskets, Valve Plate and Head, the more likely you'll have to replace the Gaskets as they will tear.

What our techs do, typically, is take a rubber mallet and gently hit upwards from each corner of the Valve Plate and Head until it's loose, then try to remove everything in one piece. If any of the paper gaskets tear then you'll have to replace them all, and the gaskets for this model are only available in a Valve Plate Assy for $38.84.

Also, after you install the Piston Kit just make sure to torque the head bolts down to spec (which should be in the instructions for the kit), which will make sure you get a good seal.

I hope this helps.

- MTR

8 years 11 months ago #998 by carrollmillen
Replied by carrollmillen on topic Name: Piston Kit Service Model: WL211000SJ
Thanks for the speedy reply! I think I will just go ahead and disassemble before ordering parts. That way if I should damage any of the gaskets I will just order them when I order the piston kit.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds