Sanborn Industrial air compressor

9 years 1 day ago #992 by joeydster1
Sanborn Industrial air compressor was created by joeydster1
I recently purchased this compressor at an auction for 75 bucks. I took it home changed the oil new plug new gas and it fired up seems to run really good. I have a model number 143TG50-8 I can't seem to locate this model number online.. Has 2 tanks its an 8 gallon compressor, belt driven powered by a briggs 5 HP. its missing the shroud and I need air filters. The regulator is red and is in need of possible replacement the gauge glass is broke and hard to see the pressure. What I am getting is Powermate bought out Sanborn? I also am in need of a new shroud to cover the belt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the value? Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 15 hours ago #993 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Sanborn Industrial air compressor
Thanks for the post!

Sanborn was bought out by Coleman Powermate, around 1998.

This is certainly an old model, I don't have the breakdown on this specific unit, but I'm familiar with the pump and the set-up.

The pump is a cast-iron, inline twin-cylinder "143" model pump and most parts are obsolete for it, I'm afraid.

I've attached a .pdf breakdown of a very similar gas model with the same pump...does this resemble your compressor?

Pressure Gauges are easy enough to replace, it's universal part.

The Regulator may be as easy. Does your regulator have a square or star-shaped plastic knob, per the attached diagram? Or, is it more of a universal in-line Regulator like the one you see on our website (at the below link)?

www.mastertoolrepair.com/38-regulator-reg0375-p-1051.html

If you have the small, hollow-style air filter elements they are still available, but are pricey; the part# is 019-0053 and they go for about $35 each. It may be best to use a different type of filter assembly, like on our site at the below link. These are twist-lock filters which replace elements (which are paper filament). Just confirm your filter threads are 1/2" NPT (actually they'll measure 3/4" if you measure the outside diameter, which translates into 1/2" MPT).

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-filter-asse...fs-06-050-p-278.html

As for the Belt Guard/Shroud, this is now an obsolete item, unfortunately. You can probably find one and retro-fit it to you unit...or have a welder fabricate one for you.

I hope this helps, feel free to upload some photos of the compressor as I can probably give you more detailed information.

- MTR
Attachments:

9 years 6 hours ago #994 by joeydster1
Replied by joeydster1 on topic Sanborn Industrial air compressor
I really appreciate your response. I have attached a couple pics of my compressor. I am a contractor but may keep this one for my personal use. I am undecided because if its going to be a bear to find parts perhaps I should sell? I really like old things and was impressed how easy it was to start after changing the fluids and new plug. I have a metal brake so I could probably make my own shroud. I may just need to get a gauge for the regulator because it seems to be functioning correctly. Bottom line is I am sure I will need to get parts from time to time. My filters are smaller as you discussed. I went to a small engine shop today but they didn't have any air filters like the ones I have. i think I may do as you say and just use aftermarket. 35 a piece for the real deal sounds a little pricey. Thanks for any additional advice you have on this compressor. I am barely a novice so nice to learn. Thanks Joe
Attachments:

8 years 11 months ago #995 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Sanborn Industrial air compressor
Glad to help if I can Joe, and I think you can get this unit running in top shape even if you can't obtain some of the OEM parts. Obviously you're mechanically inclined so it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, the belt guard is most important as it's obviously a safety issue (I should know as I once got a finger stuck in the pump flywheel under the belt....not fun). Yes, this should be easy enough to fabricate if you have the capability.

I would certainly go for aftermarket filters. Our canister-style threaded filters have twist-lock covers and the elements are easily replaceable.

IF you need to replace the Regulator as well, that's a very standard in-line regulator, like our REG0250M (1/4" FPT inlet/oulet) or REG0375 (3/8" FPT inlet/oulet). If you just need the Gauge, good deal!

Honestly, as long as the pump pressurizes and doesn't knock, and your tank holds pressure, it's worth holding on to and using. That pump is the heart of the unit and a solid one at that...if it pumps then I'd keep it.

Thanks again for the post, hopefully you can wring out additional years of service from this unit.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds