Coleman Powermate Black Max Problem

9 years 2 months ago #898 by Racinfan83
Coleman Powermate Black Max Problem was created by Racinfan83
Coleman Powermate Black Max compressor #BL0502710. I have a couple issues with it now and need to know what direction to go to fix it. Sometimes you turn it on and it will run and run and not build any pressure. If you flip it off and back on it will work fine. Then it will work fine til you turn it off and leave it for few days and then it may or may not work the next time. That's a minor annoyance I can live with.
The BIG problem I've been having lately is that when I use my impact it gets an initial shot of air pressure and then just dies to damn near nothing. You can cycle the trigger on the impact and same thing - it gets an initial shot of full pressure and then dies to puttputt until you cycle trigger again. I thought something was wrong with my old impact, went and got new Craftsman one and same thing. Turning the regulator knob doesn't seem to do anything at all either way. It's like something blocks the air pressure after the initial blast or something. Using same hose system and impact I've always used - tried different ones and same deal. This unit blew the plastic regulator off it once and stuck it in my garage door. I ordered the rebuild kit and it worked as normal for a while. Now this issue. Help Please? Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago #899 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Coleman Powermate Black Max Problem
Thanks for the post!

Initially I would say it's certainly a Regulator problem, but being you've recently replaced it, it does seem odd that you would have a Regulator problem again.

Typically it's because there is debris inside the Regulator assembly or the Diaphragm underneath the Regulator Knob and Spring is stuck/defective, not allowing enough airflow through the Regulator and to your hose/tool.

The only other reason for the problem is if the pump is just losing compression, and this is typically caused by a damaged Piston (Compression) Ring or damaged Reed Valves.

Does the unit take longer to fill the tank than it normally does? If not, you could have pump issues.
If it DOES pressurize just fine, then you have a Regulator problem.

Again, the guts of the Regulator may just need a cleaning. I would drain the tank then disassemble it, clean it of debris (if there is any) and reassemble it.

I'll see if I can get some more info but this should be a start.

- MTR

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #900 by Racinfan83
Replied by Racinfan83 on topic Coleman Powermate Black Max Problem
It runs and fills ok. I think somehow I may have messed up the regulator. I have screwed the knob down as far as it will go trying to get full air pressure... :dry: And I'm not weak either. :oops:
I think I remember back when I got the compressor new, I could actually change the reading on the right guage by turning the knob on the regulator. It does nothing to that now no matter what I do. The first regulator kept unscrewing itself and one day it blew off and everything in it as well went all over. I got the kit but I can't remember if I got the whole thing or just the guts. I screwed it back on with loctite and taped it so it wouldn't loosen again. Successful in that venture - just wondering if I got something in it wrong. Should I just order the whole rebuild kit and do it again?

I probably won't be able to work on it til Thurs or Fri. So if you find anything in the meantime please let me know... Thanks!

9 years 2 months ago #901 by MTR-Admin
Based on the problem you're having, I would say purchase a Regulator Rebuild Kit, yes. I have also asked my contact at the manufacturer to get more detailed advice. Will reply soon and we'll go from there.

- MTR

9 years 2 months ago #902 by Racinfan83
Replied by Racinfan83 on topic Coleman Powermate Black Max Problem
Very cool. I'm in no hurry so will wait for your reply. Thanks Again!

9 years 2 months ago #904 by MTR-Admin
BTW, what is the CFM requirement of you impact? I'd like to cover all bases.

As to starting problem you have with the unit, that would [most likely] be the pressure switch contacts, they might be burnt or there could be a loose wire somewhere by/inside the switch. I would take the cover off of the pressure switch to see if the copper contacts are in good shape.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds