Rolair "The Bull" will not restart after filling

9 years 5 months ago #724 by Reno65
I have a Rolair "The Bull" 2 HP compressor model FC2002 s/n 7175010022. When cold it starts up and fills the tank to the desired pressure, but then when it next calls for refilling, it makes a buzzing/groaning sound and pops the reset switch. If I reset the switch it will start again and run but then fails again on the next refill. In your forum you said that the most common problem with compressors is the check valve. Is this the first part I should try with these symptoms. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #812 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Rolair "The Bull" will not restart after filling
Thanks for the post and sorry for the delay.

Yes, it certainly does sound like you have a bad Check Valve in the tank, which is definitely the most common problem with any air compressor.

If you hear air leaking out of the 1/4" pressure release valve that is located on the side (or bottom) of your pressure control switch, and/or it seems that your compressor is struggling to start and run, then your check valve is probably defective. This is the valve that's typically threaded into your main tank inlet that keeps the pressure in the tanks. It's probably back-feeding into the line and out through this valve, also putting pressure on the pump head, making it difficult to start and stay running.

Here's a simple test you can perform to confirm:

1)Let your unit pump up. 2)Turn it off. 3)Find the supply line from the pump to the tank. 4)Remove the supply line from the pump head. 5a)If you hear air coming from the tank you have a defective check valve.

You can click on the below link to view a technical document as well as a short video:
www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds