Kobalt Model 232177 - Regulator knob came off,

9 years 9 months ago #632 by Kczuczejko
I was just adjusting the pressure on my air compressor a few days ago and I must have turned it to far counter clockwise. I was wondering if anyone knew if I can just replace the regulator knob on my air compressor without buying a new Manifold? The knob does not seem to be damaged or anything.

I did watch a clip on the E101627 regulator, but it does not go into how to replace just the knob itself. It does mention that the cause of it coming off is most likely due to a broken E clip. I guess I would like to know if anyone can help me with how to replace it, and what size is the E clip that I need to replace?

Thank you,
Kyle Czuczejko

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #633 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Kobalt Model 232177 - Regulator knob came off,
It will usually screw right out of the regulator body and a new knob will screw right in. Some of these have a slot cut at the end of the threaded stud and there is a clip inside of the regulator body that fits in the slot to keep the knob from coming all the way out of the body. If this is the case the regulator will have to be taken apart, just remove the 4 screws and disassemble the regulator, run the knob down and remove the clip and unscrew the knob out of the housing then screw the replacement knob into the housing until you can get the clip on and reassemble the regulator. Be sure to be cautious when disassembling the regulator, relieve the spring tension with the knob and note how the assembly comes apart so that reassembly will be correct.

I have noticed that the newer regulators do not have the clip and the knob will screw in and all the way out of the unit. (Note: this assembly is very cheap and easily destroyed by someone with a heavy hand).

There is a video about this unit if that helps (on www.mastertoolrepair.com ). I think that the clip is discussed and shown in it.

Hope this helps!

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kczuczejko

9 years 8 months ago #642 by Kczuczejko
Replied by Kczuczejko on topic Kobalt Model 232177 - Regulator knob came off,
I have been able to take the regulator manifold apart and replace the E-clip that had been broken leading the regulator knob to come out (now it will not come out). But now that I have replaced the e-clip I have put everything back together as I remembered and it will now fill up the tank, but I am still unable to regulate the out going air pressure to my hose.
I do wonder though where does the small piece of metal go? It appeared to me that it was just sitting there against the stem of the regulator knob, between the point and the spring in the front of the casing within the manifold (if you were to look at it from the knob going into the front of the manifold). Can you let me know where that small piece of metal should be?
I am just not able to get my regulator knob to catch like it used to and regulate the air flow. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance for your help!

9 years 8 months ago #643 by Kczuczejko
Replied by Kczuczejko on topic Kobalt Model 232177 - Regulator knob came off,
The video didn't help me, it doesn't show the interior of the manifold. I think it would be helpful to put a video up that show how to put it back together.

9 years 8 months ago #646 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Kobalt Model 232177 - Regulator knob came off,
The video was made to bring attention to issues with the manifold and regulators. There are no user serviceable parts available to repair these manifolds that I am aware of, unfortunately. If you have an issue or problem with the part the best option is to replace it. I don’t think there is any breakdown of these manifold/regulators that detail the assembly because they are not considered repairable.

If someone should want to attempt to repair one, then the best course is to disassemble it in a clean clear work area and lay the parts out as they are removed so that reassembly will not be difficult. Per the manufacturer these units are not serviceable or repairable.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds