I'm new to this old compressor

4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #3266 by bn37
I'm new to this old compressor was created by bn37
Hello and thanks for the forum!

I inherited this compressor when my Dad passed away this past spring. I could really use it for some upcoming home remodeling, working on the cars, as well as just airing up tires and balls. It'd be kinda cool to use something of Dad's too.
It's a Craftsman model 919.15658, 1 hp, 12 gallon.

It turns on when I plug it in and when I pull the safety valve ring air comes out, but air wasn't coming out of the hose. I took the hose off and fired it up again and air is coming out (I guess the hose is bad?). It also kinda gives off a burning smell. I checked the oil fill plug below and to the left of the plastic cowling cover and it has oil there. Perhaps it's just burning off stuff that's accumulated on it from sitting in Pop's garage all this time. I took the covers off and cleaned it up some with the power washer, being careful where I sprayed.

I don't have much experience with compressors and I'm not sure about it's past periodic maintenance. I'm guessing I should change the oil and intake filter...what else is there?

Thanks!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 6 months ago #3267 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic I'm new to this old compressor
The hose does look pretty old. I would start by doing the following:
1) change oil (air compressor oil only)
2) change air filter
3) replace the tank drain valve
4) check the belt to be sure it has no cracks in it (inner part of the belt)
5) maybe replace the check valve as well. They go bad pretty often.
Here is a link for the parts for that page:
mastertoolrepair.com/portable-oilbath-el...9156580-p-70614.html

4 years 6 months ago #3268 by bn37
Replied by bn37 on topic I'm new to this old compressor
Thanks for the reply!

1) I'll change the oil. I planned on using synthetic compressor oil (if it's not a mistake at this point in it's life). I saw a 16oz. bottle of synthetic at Home Depot for about $8...I think it was Husky. Referring to the exploded diagram on the page you linked to, I drain the oil out of 27B and fill it up at 27A correct?

2) I'll change the air filter. It's 57 in that same diagram correct?

3) I thought about the drain valve (#36 in the diagram). The wings are bent a little, but it opens. I expected water to come out, but there was none.

4) I'll check the belt.

5) I'll look to source that check valve. Maybe I'll call Sears since you provided the numbers.

Thanks again-I appreciate the input!

4 years 6 months ago #3269 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic I'm new to this old compressor
Yes to all of your questions.
As long as you maintain it, you should get pretty good service from it.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds