impact of cold air on compressor

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #3073 by Speedaire1
impact of cold air on compressor was created by Speedaire1
I live in Vermont winter temps can be very cold
I am in the process of further reducing the intake noise on my 30 gal compressor
I am ready to pipe the intake of the compressor from the workshop garage (which is heated to 58F in the winter )
to my other garage which is not heated (it can get down to 20F or below ) depending on outside ambient.
Very short run of about 3 feet

My question is: Will the cold air intake reduce or some how impact how the compressor operates?
What I have been reading compressor efficiency will increase with a cold air intake , but will not make much difference when compressor and intake temps are the same as in hot July day

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #3077 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic impact of cold air on compressor
Cold dry air is actually better for your air compressor than warm moist air, so you should be good.
When it comes to the temperature for the pump. Is this pump oil free or oil bath? If oil free, then the temps should not bother it. If oil free, in the winter, run 20W compressor oil.

4 years 11 months ago #3080 by Speedaire1
Replied by Speedaire1 on topic impact of cold air on compressor
The compressor is a 2 stage Belaire 30 gal, oil bath pump.
Changed the oil last year and the noise was reduced buy 1 o 2r db's running 20w now

4 years 11 months ago #3108 by Speedaire1
piped the intake out through the wall to the other garage hoping it will help with compressor noise , but it is still quite noisy in the garage where the compressor lives.
Any more suggestions to reduce compressor "knock" I thought it was from the air intake because blocking
the air filter intake it reduces the "knock" .

4 years 8 months ago #3187 by Speedaire1
Piped the intake out through the wall to the other garage hoping it will help with compressor noise , but it is still quite noisy in the garage where the compressor lives.
Any more suggestions to reduce compressor "knock" I thought it was from the air intake because blocking
the air filter intake it reduces the "knock" .
Anybody have any ideas?

4 years 8 months ago #3188 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic impact of cold air on compressor
Why you say "knock", have you taken a long screwdriver and carefully placed the handle end on your ear, then moving the pointed end around the pump to determine where the knock is coming from?
An engine stethoscope is even better.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds