How to Assemble Head+Valves - CH 631400AJ?

5 years 8 months ago #2529 by drjohn
Hi, I'm trying to rebuild the heads on a Campbell-Hausfeld 631400AJ. I purchased a Valve Plate kit & gaskets, but I'm not clear on re-assembly (the fellow who took it apart (stupidly) did not pay careful attention). I found an assembly diagram online as shown in attachment #1. I have also included a picture of my valve plate, shim and gasket as attachment #2.

What confuses me is the correct orientation of the gasket and shim. In the diagram, the "crossbar" of the gasket and shim appear to be oriented *perpendicular* to the to the reed slots in the valve plates. I'm no expert, but that seems wrong to me (?).

Another dumb question: the reed slot sides of the valve plates should be facing each other, right? (that is, the reeds are in the middle of the "sandwich", correct?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #2532 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic How to Assemble Head+Valves - CH 631400AJ?
Thanks for the post drjohn!

You are correct, the "rib" that runs into the center of the gasket does NOT install perpendicular to the reed valves slots, like the schematic diagram shows. I don't know why it's represented that way in the diagram, that would be an oversight by the manufacturer.

As to your second question, yes, the reed valves are sandwiched in between the two valve plates.

If you need more detail feel free to reply and I'll do what I can to assist you further!

- MTR

5 years 8 months ago #2537 by drjohn
Replied by drjohn on topic How to Assemble Head+Valves - CH 631400AJ?
Thank you so much for your speedy reply. It helps me a lot.

5 years 8 months ago #2540 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic How to Assemble Head+Valves - CH 631400AJ?
Certainly glad to do it. Good luck!

- MTR

5 years 4 months ago #2831 by Dragonmedic67
Replied by Dragonmedic67 on topic How to Assemble Head+Valves - CH 631400AJ?
I have the exact same problem. My question is the order of the sandwich plates. I assume both should face up with reed notch facing up as well? Next question, are the reeds aligned on the intake or exhaust side? Im also assuming each cylinder on this model has 2 plates per cylinder?

5 years 4 months ago #2833 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic How to Assemble Head+Valves - CH 631400AJ?
The concave areas of the valve plates should both be sandwiched on the inside; in other words, the flat sides face the head on one and the cylinder on the other. As the piston descends, it will pull the intake valve into the concave area (the bottom valve plate) from the air filter side. As the other piston ascends, it will push the exhaust valve into the concave area up into the head and out to the intercooler tube or to the transfer tube to the tank.
I hope this helps.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds