Was this a good craigslist purchase? Replace parts or whole pump?

5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2487 by Combustion Society
I bought a 30 gal compressor of Craigslist yesterday for $30 and its missing the original pump. What I have is the tank and 5hp motor but I need to know if its worth searching for the pump or putting a new pump and throwing the 5hp motor it came with on a pulley and getting a brand new pump. This $80 pump on amazon seems too good to be true.

www.amazon.com/Goplus-Piston-Style-Cylin...ords=compressor+pump

Any advice? I'm just a garage shadetree mechanic not sure what ill be using it for.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #2488 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post!

This WL603000AJ model is obviously an old model, but it is a solid air compressor, and especially so for an oil-free, direct-drive unit. However, if you need parts for that WL350101 Motor/Pump, they're sadly no longer available so I'd recommend installing a new pump on the unit.

You can view a breakdown of that pump assembly by clicking on the below link:

mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-pump...l350002-p-19267.html

The v-twin pump you reference on Amazon would probably work for you, I don't see why not for that price. Also, it's an oil-bath pump which is generally better than an oil-free pump. For that price you may as well, even if parts aren't available for it.

As long as the other components are working and the tank holds air (with minimal or no leaks), I'd say it's probably worth throwing a new pump on the unit.

- MTR

5 years 8 months ago #2497 by Combustion Society
Thanks for all the good info.if I have a 5hp motor and that pump asks for 3 can I make it work with a smaller pulley?

5 years 8 months ago #2505 by MTR-Admin
If you have a 5HP motor, a 3HP will work just fine.
You would not need to change out the pulley based on going down in HP, you just need to know the rpm range that motor works in.
Use this free on-line calculator here:
gadi.agric.za/software/renting/pulley_calc.php

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds