SS3 pump rebuild possible?

6 years 18 hours ago #2354 by fitz71
SS3 pump rebuild possible? was created by fitz71
Hello everyone. I posted here a while back about transporting a Ingersol Rand SS3 compressor laid on it's side and the consequences. I performed the recommendations at the time, but it took another year to get the electrical and air line system built. When I finally turned it on, it ran 5 minutes and... wham! Froze up completely. The motor was still turning but it was burning the belt by the time I finally got to it and turned it off.

Well.. I made a big mistake. I misread the oil level. And it caused the pump to freeze up. Grrrrrr.

Ok, question 1 is.. does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit applicable to a freeze up? Or separate parts? I've seen "tune up" kits on ebay, but it doesn't appear they contain the applicable parts to a rebuild. ,... like main and rod bearings etc.
I haven't tore down this pump yet, but if it's worth a rebuild, I will.

Question 2. Even if the parts are available, is it wise or worth the time and money? Thing is, I've researched the cost of a new pump, which is almost what I paid for the entire compressor used. I don't mind buying a new one, but if I could save a couple of hundred bucks... I'd rebuild it as I'm on a fixed income. I've rebuilt many auto engines, but never a compressor pump. So, I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds