Do I need high SCFM in my situation?

6 years 3 months ago #2296 by nuke21
Do I need high SCFM in my situation? was created by nuke21
I finally created an account on here to ask the question. I have tried to read multiple threads and I don't really know if I'm getting a concrete answer so I thought I would finally ask on here since this seems to be the most skilled website on air compressors by far.

I used to be a mechanic and I still love doing projects on the side but I think it's finally time for me to get an air compressor to help with small projects.

I have been looking at two air compressors right now. One is a 5.5 gallon tank with 2.2 CFM @ 90 and the second is a 4.5 gal with 5.1 SCFM at 90. The 2.2 CFM one is half the price of the 5.1.

I plan to use the air compressor to power my impact gun. But it will only be used for rare occurrences. For instance if I have difficult bolt I want to be able to hook up my impact gun and see if that helps. Or to speed up a project by using the impact gun just to take off a single tire if I'm working on the side of the vehicle. I have come to the conclusion that higher SCFM is great for impacts but I have the understanding that this is only required if I'm going to be using it continuously. Which in my case I am going to be using it seldomly.

Will the cheaper 2.2 CFM work just as well as the 5.1 for supplying my impact gun air for removing a difficult bolt if both air compressors are completely full? If I was planning on doing a lot of work with the air tool I could understand going for the 5.1 but if the seldom amount of time I'm going to be using an air compressor, obviously the cheaper one would sit with me better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago #2300 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Do I need high SCFM in my situation?
Thanks for the post nuke21,

I'd suggest the compressor that puts out 5.1 CFM, honestly. I'm not 100% certain the smaller compressor rated at 2.2 CFM will not work for you, but it may not work efficiently.

Typically, I'd first inquire as to the CFM requirement of the tool you're using. Your impact should have a CFM requirement (in the manual or you can look it up online I'm sure) so you ideally want to at least supply the "required" (i.e. minimum) CFM for the application/tool.

Again if it's a smaller 3/8" impact then you may get by with the smaller compressor, but it depends on the required CFM, once again. It will probably operate for you in small bursts, which is how you would be using it.

Hope this helps,

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds