Having problems with 1977 Sullair diesel Compressor

6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #2257 by jensenbreck
Hi,

I am having problems with my old sullair compressor. I just rebuilt the motor, but now I can't seem to get the plumbing right. The motor runs good, the pump is pumping air, but the air is not being stored in the tanks and the engine even stalls from too much pressure in the lines. Any help or places where I can get a plumbing diagram deeply appreciated.?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References: www.powerequipmentforum.com/forum/7-air-...esel-compressor.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #2263 by MTR-Admin
Jensenbreck,

There are many reasons this could happen.

First, how much pressure is "too much" pressure?

If you know for a fact the pump is pressurizing as it should and creating compression as it should, but you're not getting pressure in the tank(s), then most likely the problem is either the pump or a large leak.

I would spray soapy water on all of the connections and fittings to find out if there is a leak somewhere. It seems to me there should be a VERY obvious leak if the pump is pressurizing air, but it's (apparently) all bypassing the tank; either that or the tank has a hole in it and needs to be replaced.

First, look for a leak.

Secondly, make sure the in-tank Check Valve is operating properly. I would honestly replace it, as a sticky Check Valve is a very common problem and can cause pressure to backfeed from the tank. Or, remove it from the tank and clean it as there may be debris inside the valve, allowing air to escape.

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds