Kellogg American 321 compressor 1958 uploader problem .. valves? rings?

6 years 4 months ago #2252 by ohpoppy
Hello, I just put this old compressor back in service with a nice new paint job and some parts. I bypassed the original up-loader since it does not work and installed a 175 psi heavy duty pressure switch with a up-loader on it. I attached the pressure line from the head to this switch and find when it shuts off at 175 the air continuously comes out of the up-loader.

I suspect this is not normal.. is it!!..

should I conclude either air is by-passing the rings or there is a leaky valve. in other words it needs rings and valves.

or am I missing something.. somehow I imagined the uploader would release the air momentarily then close again which now doesn't seem to make sense. any thoughts?? the unit is a 2 stage unit, 3 hp 230 volt... HUGE tank.

its something though.. sitting next to my 2 vintage cars its part of the gang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #2253 by ohpoppy
maybe it had at one time a tank check valve.. don't see one. Maybe its in the cylinder head. does anyone know?

6 years 4 months ago #2254 by ohpoppy
figured it out.. after removing the head I realized this unit was likely rebuilt since valves and cylinder bore were like new. no way any valves were leaking. Some pipes were replaced to the tank sometime in its life, likely the check valve was installed in that network of pipes. I ordered one to fit within the 1/2" NPT piping.. it got to solve it. maybe this post will help someone so I leave it..

6 years 4 months ago #2255 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post!

What you have is actually a defective in-tank Check Valve, which is the most common problem with an air compressor.

You can click on the below link to view a video and text document on how to test your check valve:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

The Check Valve may not have ever been replaced so it's WAY past due for replacement. I'm sure it's rusted and the ball and spring valve it probably completely gone, and/or there is debris in the valve which is not allowing the valve to close once the unit shuts off at max PSI, so the tank pressure is back-feeding through the Check Valve and through the Unloader Line and out of your Unloader Valve.

Hope this helps!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds