kobalt 60 gallon air compressor.

6 years 5 months ago #2224 by usdot2
kobalt 60 gallon air compressor. was created by usdot2
Hello I'm new to this forum. I know that i can probably get some help here with you guys cause a friend recommended it. I finally got this thing going and i wired it for 120 volt tat first. I turned it on and then it built up pressure to about 30lbs and then it started buzzing from the electric motor then it trips the small red breaker on the back of the motor. I looked everything over and bought a new pressure switch, a new check valve, opened the compressor and cleaned it all out then added some new oil and tested it without the top of the compressor on. The pistons moved smoothly inside the compressor with no binding. i let it run for a while then put the top back on and let it build up pressure. and then bam once again at 30 lbs it shut off. I pressed the reset switch but it did not want to turn over the compressor. At this point all i could imagine was that it needed more power so i thought i would go with 220 volts.

I then rewired it for 230 Volts. I hooked everything back together and it does the exact same thing only now it gets all the way up to 40 LBS and then bogs down. I t also pops off the small plastic line that goes from the check valve to the pressure witch. . I thought maybe a faulty check valve so i bought and replaced it with a new one (again). then i bought and replace the electrical pressure switch. The damn thing keeps doing the same thing. It builds up pressure on a depressurized tank. but it will not let the motor turn when there is pressure in the tank. At first I was going to say that there are not many moving parts on this compressor and that this is not rocket science, but i cannot seem to figure this one out. I have changed all the air lines and the electrical connection. the only parts left are the electrical motor and the compressor itself.

I cannot figure this one out. Maybe i'm missing something here that i have not thought of. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #2228 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic kobalt 60 gallon air compressor.
Thanks for the post!

Do you have the model number of the air compressor?
Just to confirm, is the unloader line is still popping off?
Also, which check valve did you purchase?

There could be debris in the pump, on some check valves there is a small screen in the inlet that gets clogged. If you have a check valve that does have one, I recommend removing the screen in the top of the check valve, then try running it up again.

If the unloader line is NOT still popping off, then I would look at the below potential problems:

1) Run Capacitor is defective (test and/or replace Run Capacitor)

2) Belt is too loose or tight (there should be no more than 1/2" deflection when you press down on the centerpoint of the Belt)

3) Sticking Valves in the pump (remove the head and inspect the valves to confirm there isn't rust or other build up)

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds